Yuzvendra Singh Chahal is a former chess player and an Indian cricketer who represented his country in ODIs and T20. He has also represented India in chess in youth at the international level. Chahal got named to the 2019 World Cup squad and had a successful campaign. Let's get to know the success story of this champion bowler who has helped his team won several matches.
Fun Fact: He played chess in his early days and represented India on the international level also.
Yuzvendra Chahal - Key Points
- Full Name - Yuzvendra Singh Chahal
- Nickname - Yuzi
- Country - India
- Date of Birth - 23 July 1990 (31 years)
- Place of Birth - Jind, Haryana, India
- Role - Bowler
- Bowling - Right-arm leg break
- Batting - Right-handed
- Marital Status - Married
- Spouse - Dhanashree Verma
Yuzvendra Chahal - Early Life
Yuzvendra's father always wanted him to play chess professionally. But Chahal's first love was cricket. He always wanted to play cricket and started playing at a very young age of 10 years. He played over 100 matches on the domestic, state, and national levels before getting selected for the Indian team.
Fun Fact: - Yuzi is the first Indian bowler to have a six-wicket haul in the T20 international.
Yuzvendra Chahal - Family and Personal Life
Yuzvendra was born to Sunita Devi and K.K Chahal. His mother is a housemaker and, his father is an advocate. He has two elder sisters and, both of them got settled in Australia. Chahal got married to Dhananshree Verma in December 2020. She is a YouTuber, choreographer, content creator, and a dentist by profession and also has more than 2.5 million subscribers on Youtube.
Yuzvendra Chahal - Cricket Career
- Debut - Chahal started playing cricket at a very young. He played several domestic matches before playing at the National level. Yuzi represented Haryana's team in the Ranji Trophy. He was also the highest wicket-taker in the Cooch Behar Trophy by taking 34 wickets in the entire tournament.
- ODI - Chahal made his ODI debut in 2016 at Harare Sports Club against Zimbabwe. In his debut match, he took three wickets by giving just 26 runs. Chahal also won the Player of the Match award for his performance. Chahal has played 56 ODIs and, he took 96 wickets with a bowling average of 26.93. He has two 5-wickets hauls in the ODI international
- T20I - Yuzi debuted in T20I for the Indian team at Harare Sports Club against Zimbabwe in 2016. He has played 49 T20I matches and, he took 63 wickets with a bowling average of 25.30. Chahal is the first Indian bowler to have a 5-wicket haul in a T20I in 2017 against England. In Dec 2020, he replaced Ravindra Jadeja as a substitute player against Australia. He performed extraordinarily well in that match by taking three wickets off just 25 runs.
Yuzvendra Chahal - World Cup
Yuzvendra Chahal is one of those few fortunate players who got a chance to play in the World Cups for his country. India ended up losing against New Zealand in the semi-finals match. But Chahal took 12 wickets in the entire campaign with a bowling economy of 5.97.
His back-to-back performances have established him as one of the most preferred right-arm leg break spinners in the Indian team. Chahal also has a decent googly and, it troubles the batsmen in the field.
Yuzvendra Chahal - IPL Career
- Chahal started playing IPL in 2011 for Mumbai Indians.
- He only played in 1 IPL season across three editions.
- RCB (Royal Challengers Bangalore) bought him in 2014 for the base price of INR 10 lakhs.
- Chahal has helped RCB to win several matches with his attacking bowling technique.
- RCB retained him in IPL 2018 for INR 6 crore.
- He got named in the Cricinfo IPL XI in 2015 and 2016 for his brilliant performance.
- Yuzi also got mentioned in the Cricbuzz XI in 2016 and 2017.
Yuzvendra Chahal - Chess Career
Chahal is a professional chess player. He has also represented India at the World Youth Chess Championship. He started playing chess at the age of 7 years and, he also got listed on the official site of the World Chess Federation.
He, unfortunately, had to give up the game after struggling to find a sponsor for his future games.
Fun Fact: - Chahal is the only person to play chess and cricket professionally on the international level.
Yuzvendra Chahal - Fans and Following
Yuzvendra is one of the most popular Indian bowlers. He is also active on various social media account. Yuzi posts training, married life, brand endorsements, dance videos, matches, personal life, holidays, etc. He has more than 6.6 million followers on Instagram and almost 3 million followers on Twitter.
Yuzvendra Chahal - Brand Endorsements
Chahal's popularity amongst cricket lovers has made him one of the most loved cricket players in India. It has helped him in grabbing several brand endorsements. A lot of brands wish to collaborate with him. Some of the brands endorsed by him are as follows:
- MX TakaTak
- Discovery Plus
- Visa India
- Front Row
- Amazon Prime Video
- Bharat Pe
- Clove Dental
Yuzvendra Chahal - Unknown Facts
- He is one of the few cricketers who has played a World Cup but hasn't got an opportunity to play a Test match.
- Yuzi is the first concussion substitute to win a Player of the Match award in 2020.
- He stopped playing chess at the age of 10 years.
- He is also the only concussion substitute to won Player of the Match.
- His ideal is Australian bowler Shane Warne.
- He is only the 3rd Indian bowler to take more than 60 wickets in T20I.
- Chahal's hobbies are traveling, playing golf, and chess.
Yuzvendra Chahal - The King of T20s
Yuzi has shown his skills in both cricket and chess. His excellence in chess has helped him in cricket as well. It helps him in reading the minds of cricket players and performing well on the ground. Chahal has inspired a whole generation with his outstanding cricket skills and, he holds various records in his name. We all must get motivated by his life journey and work harder in our lives.