Chanda Kochhar is the former CEO (Chief Executive Officer) and managing director of ICICI Bank. However, she stepped down from her post due to the Indian government's changes in banking procedures. Nevertheless, she is known as one of the most intelligent bankers and businesswomen in India. Kochhar has also been awarded for her contribution to the Indian banking industry several times and has proved that women are no less than anybody. In this article, we will get to see the success story of Chanda Kochhar to understand her life closely.
Kochhar was recognized as the Most Powerful Woman in business outside the U.S.
– By Fortune Magazine in 2017.
Chanda Kochhar Biography – Key Highlights
- Full Name – Chanda Kochhar
- Date of Birth – 17 November 1961 (59 years)
- Place of Birth – Jodhpur, Rajasthan, India
- Nationality – Indian
- Alma Mater – Institute of Cost Accountants of India, University of Mumbai
- Occupation – Former CEO & M.D. of ICICI Bank
- Marital Status – Married
- Spouse – Deepak Kochharv
- Children – 2
Chanda Kochhar – Early Life and Education
Chanda was born in a Hindu Sindhi family in Jodhpur, Rajasthan. She completed her schooling at St. Angela Sophia School, Jaipur. Chanda completed her graduation from Jai Hind College (University of Mumbai) and pursued Cost Accountancy from the Institute of Cost Accountants of India.
She also holds a master’s degree in management studies from Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (University of Mumbai). Chanda is also a gold medalist in cost accountancy and excellence in management studies.
Chanda Kochhar – Family
Chanda got married to Deepak Kochhar – a businessman. The CEO of NuPower Renewables Pvt. Ltd., Deepak, was Chanda's classmate in the business school. The couple has two children – Aarti and Arjun.
Fun Fact – Chanda Kochhar won the ABLF Woman of Power Award by Asian Business Leadership Forum Awards in 2011
Chanda Kochhar Biography – Career Timeline
- 1984-1993 – Joining ICICI as Trainee Chanda started her career by joining ICICI (Industrial Credit and Investment Corporation of India) as a management trainee. During her training period, she evaluated and monitored various projects in the textile, cement, and paper industry.
- 1993 – 2009 – Getting Promoted to General Manager Chanda got appointed as the core member while establishing the ICICI bank. She got promoted to AGM in 1994 and then as a DGM in 1996. Kochhar became the G.M. of ICICI bank in 1998 ad handled the relationship with their top 200 clients. Under her leadership, the bank started focusing mainly on technology, expansion, innovation, distribution, process engineering, etc. In 2006, Chanda took over as Deputy MD of ICICI and handled corporate and international business.
- 2009-2018 – MD & CFO Roles After being appointed as the M.D. and CFO of ICICI, Chanda handled the diverse operation of the bank in India and overseas. She also holds most of the ICICI's subsidiaries, which includes general insurance companies and private sectors.
Chanda Kochhar – Other Works
Some of the other works of Chanda are as follows:
- She is a member of the India-Russia Business Leaders and US-India CEO Forum.
- She was the president of IMC (International Monetary Conference).
- Chanda is also the deputy chairman of the Indian Banks Association.
- Chanda is the chairperson of IIIT Vadodara.
- Kochhar is on the boards of NISM (National Institute of Securities Markets) and IIF (Institute of International Finance).
- She is a member of PM's council on the Board of Trade and High-Level Committee on Financing Structure and Trade and Industry.
- Kochhar also co-chaired the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum in 2011.
Chanda Kochhar – Awards and Achievements
Some of the awards and achievements won by Chanda are as follows:
|Retail Banker of the Year||By the Asian Banker, 2004|
|Business Woman of the Year||By the Economic Times, 2005|
|Rising Star Award||By Retail Banker International, 2006|
|Most Powerful Women in Business||By Fortune Magazine, 2005|
|World's 100 Most Powerful Women||By Forbes Magazine, 2009|
|Most Powerful WomenHall of Fame||By the Business Today, 2011|
|50 Most Influential People in Global Finance||By Bloomberg Markets, 2011|
|ASSOCHAM Ladies League Mumbai Women of the Decade Achievers||By ASSOCHAM, 2014|
|World's 100 Most Powerful Women||By Forbes Magazine, 2013|
|25 Most Powerful Women in India||By India Today, 2013|
|100 Most Influential People in the World||By Time's Magazine, 2015|
|100 Most Powerful Women in Finance||By Forbes Magazine, 2016|
|High and Mighty Power List||By India Today, 2016|
|Asia's 50 Power Businesswoman List||By Forbes Magazine, 2016|
|World's Most Powerful Women in Finance||By Forbes Magazine, 2016|
|B.W.'s Most Influential Women's List||By Business World Magazine, 2017|
|Woodrow Wilson Award||By Woodrow Wilson Centre, 2017|
Chanda Kochhar – Breaking Women Stereotypes Like A Pro
Chanda is one of the leading businesswomen and bankers in India. This woman has single-handled broken all the barriers and stereotypes about a woman. She proved that a woman could also lead a business and become one of the most prominent bankers in the world. She is an inspiration for all woman who wants to enter the banking and insurance industry.