Adar Poonawalla is an Indian entrepreneur and businessman. He is the CEO (Chief Executive Officer) of the Serum Institute of India - the most prominent vaccine manufacturer globally by the number of doses produced. Adar is mainly known for his contribution to vaccine production for the COVID-19. His company’s vaccine – COVI-Shield, was the first vaccine of India. Let’s get to see the success story of this mighty Indian businessman who has made India proud.
Fun Fact – Adar is a car enthusiast, and he owns over ten luxurious cars, including Rolls Royce Phantom and Ferrari.
Adar Poonawalla Biography – Key Highlights
- Full Name – Adar Poonawalla
- Date of Birth – 14 January 1981 (40 years)
- Place of Birth – Pune, Maharashtra, India
- Nationality – Indian
- Parents – Cyrus Poonawalla, Villoo Poonawalla
- Alma Mater – University of Westminster
- Profession – Entrepreneur, Businessman, Philanthropist
- Designation – CEO, Serum Institute of India Chairman, Magma Fincorp
- Marital Status – Married
- Spouse – Natasha Poonawalla
- Net Worth - $13 billion
- Website – www.adarpoonawalla.com
Adar Poonawalla – Personal Life & Education
Adar was born in a Parsi family to Villoo and Cyrus Poonawalla. His father is the founder of the Serum Institute of India, and her mother was the Director of the company. Adar married Natasha Poonawalla in 2006 after meeting at a party in Goa. The couple has two children – Cyrus and Darius.
Adar is the single child of his parents. He completed his schooling at Bishop’s School and St. Edmund’s School. He then graduated with a BA (Hons) in management studies from the University Westminster, London.
Note - Adar is also a lover of horse racing, and his favorite travel destinations are Italy and France.
Adar Poonawalla Story – Career Timeline
- Joined Serum Institute – After completing his graduation, Adar joined the Serum Institute in 2001. He concentrated on the international market of the company and exported ear products to 35 countries. In just four years, he expanded his company and started exporting its products to more than 140 countries. Almost 80-85% of the company’s revenue are from overseas.
- CEO of Serum Institute – Adar became the CEO of the company, and he played a significant role in the acquisition of Bilthoven Biologicals (Netherlands based vaccine manufacturing company). Poonawalla also played an essential role in initiating and launching Serum Institute’s oral polio vaccine in 2014. In addition, the company’s best-seller helped them expand the product portfolio to include vaccines for cervical cancer, dengue, and flu.
- Magma Fincorp Chairman – Adar also got appointed as the chairman of the financial services company – Magma Fincorp. His company acquired the 66% stake of Magma on 31 May 2021.
Fun Facts : Adar Poonawalla is also a board member of the GAVI Alliance (global vaccine alliance).
Adar Poonawalla – COVID-19 Vaccines King
Adar’s company was one of the first companies in the world to produce a vaccine for the COVID-19. They partnered with AstraZeneca (a British-Swedish Pharmaceutical company). As a result, his company made over. They have increased their target to more than one billion doses by 2021. They are also producing the Sputnik V vaccine in India with the Gamaleya Research Institute of Epidemiology and Microbiology.
Proud Fact - Adar’s venture “Serum Institute of India” was the first to produce vaccines for COVID-19 – Covishield with the help of AstraZeneca and the University of Oxford.
Adar Poonawalla – Awards and Achievements
Adar is one of the most renowned entrepreneurs of India. He has won several awards and recognitions for his outstanding contribution to the vaccine industry. Some of them are as follows:
|Philanthropist of the Year||By GQ Magazine, 2016|
|Humanitarian Endeavour Award||In Hall of Fame Awards, 2017|
|Indian of the Year||By CNN News 18, 2017|
|ET Edge Maharashtra Achievers Awards (Business Leader of the Year)||By Devendra Fadnavis, 2018|
|CNBC’s Asia Award (For Corporate Social Responsibility)||By CNBC, 2018|
|40 Under 40 (In healthcare category)||By Fortune Magazine, 2020|
|Entrepreneur of the Year||By Economic Times, 2021|
Adar Poonawalla – Unknown Facts
Some of the unknown facts about Adar are as follows:
- Under his leadership and guidance, the Serum Institute saw tremendous growth in just a few years.
- He started Villoo Poonawalla Foundation in the name of her mother. The foundation helps provide healthcare, education, water supply, sanitation, etc., to the underprivileged people in India.
- Adar is also one of the brand ambassadors of the ‘Swacch Bharat Initiative’ of India.
- His initiative – Adar Poonawalla Clean City, focuses on the environment and sustainability. He has also pledged to donate 100 crores for the expansion of this project from his own wealth.
Adar Poonawalla – Entrepreneur of 2021
Adar is one of the most influential people in India. He is a billionaire businessman and also a prominent philanthropist. Adar and his company’s contribution during the hard times of the pandemic are commendable. His love for his country and the people motivates him in doing philanthropic work for the underprivileged people of India.