Harmanpreet Kaur is an Indian woman cricketer who plays in all formats and is the female sensation of the cricket fraternity. Kaur is also the first Indian player ever (Male or Female) to play more than 100 T20I matches for her country. This woman is nothing less than fire and has the power to burn all of her opponents. Her ability to hit long and continuous sixes is tremendous and, spectators enjoy watching her play.
Fun Fact: Kaur used to play cricket with the men's team in her beginning days
Harmanpreet Kaur – Statistics
- Full Name – Harmanpreet Kaur Bhullar
- Nickname - Harman
- Date of Birth - 8th March 1989 (32 years)
- Place of Birth - Moga, Punjab, India
- Role - All-rounder
- Batting - Right-handed
- Bowling - Right-arm off-break
- No. of Tests played - 3
- No. of ODIs played - 106
- No. of T20I played - 117
Harmanpreet Kaur – Early Life
Harmanpreet was born in Moga, Punjab to Harmander Singh Bhullar and Satwinder Kaur. She was passionate about cricket from her childhood and loved going to cricket coaching. Kaur completed her schooling at Gyan Jyoti School Academy and started playing cricket after getting admitted to this school. She trained under Coach Kamaldeesh Singh Sodhi.
Note: Kaur moved to Mumbai in 2014 to work in Indian Railways.
Harmanpreet Kaur - Family and Personal Life
Harman's father was an aspiring cricketer at his time and, he was also her first coach. Her father also played Volleyball and Basketball. Harman's mother is a housewife and, her sister is a post-graduate in English and works as an assistant professor in Guru Nanak College in Moga.
Harman got inspired by Virendra Sehwag and kept his posters at her home. Her family is a baptized Sikh and, she is a hardcore food lover however, Kaur stopped eating gluten in 2019. She admits that this decision has helped her lot to recover post the injuries.
Harmanpreet Kaur – Cricket Career Timeline
- Early Life - Harman played many matches at the district, state, and national levels before getting into the Indian cricket team. She made her debut in 2009 at the age of 20 against Pakistan. She was a part of the 2009 Women's Cricket World Cup.
- International Career - Kaur has played over 100 matches in both ODI International and T20I. She is also one of the first cricketers to achieve this feat. She also scored 2000 plus runs in both formats with a batting average of 30.
- World Cup - Harman was a part of the team in the 2017 Women's World Cup. That was the most important World Cup for Team India as they lost the final match against England's team with a close cut. Harman scored 171 (not out) in the semi-finals of the World Cup match and set a record.
- Captaincy - Kaur's debut as a captain of the Women's team was in the 2012 T20 Asia Cup. India defended Pakistan's team and won that Cup. She captained the ODI team in 2013 during the Bangladesh tour and scored 195 runs in the series with a batting average of 97.5. Kaur is currently the captain of the Women's T20I Squad.
- Women Big Bash League - Harman was the first Indian woman cricketer to sign the contract for the Women's Big Bash League. She chooses the Sydney team for the 2018-19 tournaments. She scored 312 runs and took nine wickets in the total 14 matches that she played.
Harmanpreet Kaur - Awards and Achievements
Harmanpreeet is the recipient of various awards and achievements in her career. Some of the awards won by her are as follows:
- Arjuna Award - By Government of India, 2017
- Best Women Cricketer of the Year - By BCCI, 2017
- Forbes 30 under 30
- Women's T20I team of the year - ICC
Harmanpreet Kaur - Unknown Facts
- She is a big fan of Virendra Sehwag and idolizes him.
- Kaur and Mithali Raj revolted against Tushar Arothe (women's coach) and demanded his resignation.
- Former Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar helped her getting a job in the Indian Railways.
- She was honored with a DSP rank in Punjab Police. However, she got demoted later on to a constable after knowing about her fake bachelor's degree.
- She is the first Indian player to sign a contract with the Big Bash Women's League.
- Kaur is also the 1st Indian woman cricketer to sign a contract with English Cricket Board's Kia Super League.
Harmanpreet Kaur - Records
- She scored 171 not out off 155 balls against Australia in 2017. She achieved this feat in the Women's cricket World Cup finals and, this made her the second-highest scorer in the ODI International.
- She scored the highest run for India in the history of the World Cup (Women).
- Kaur is the 2nd Indian batswoman to rank in the Top 10 best batswoman list by ICC.
- She is the first player ever to play more than 100 T20I matches.
Harmanpreet Kaur - Brands Endorsements
Harmanpreet has a lot of popularity in the cricket fraternity. It has increased her brand presence and, various brands want to collaborate with her for their endorsements. She also endorses brands and has a lot of collaborations with international brands. Some of them are as follows:
- Ceat Tyres
Harmanpreet Kaur - Fans and Followings
Kaur is very active on her social media accounts. She constantly interacts with her fans and posts almost twice or thrice a week. She regularly posts about her pieces of training, matches, fitness, brand endorsements, personal life, etc.
Harmanpreet has almost 900 thousand followers on Instagram and more than 350 thousand followers on Twitter.
Harmanpreet Kaur - The Sixer Queen
Harmanpreet Kaur is one of the most experienced players in India. This woman has the power to win the match and is the ultimate epitome of hard work and dedication. She is an inspiration for all of the young women in India who wish to play for the country. Kaur is a legend and, people like her are rare.