Anand Mahindra is the chairman and M.D. of Mahindra Group. It is one of the biggest companies in India that operates in automotive, aerospace, energy, agribusiness, defence, finance and insurance, hospitality, industrial equipment, real estate, information technology, etc. Mahindra is also a well-known philanthropist, and his social work is appraised all over the world. So let's get to see the career and success story of one of the most prominent businessmen in India - Anand Mahindra.
Anand Mahindra – Key Highlights
- Full Name – Anand Gopal Mahindra
- Date of Birth – 1 May 1955 (66 years)
- Place of Birth – Bombay, Maharashtra, India
- Nationality – Indian
- Profession – Businessman, Philanthropist
- Alma Mater – Harvard University, Harvard Business School (MBA)
- Marital Status – Married
- Spouse – Anuradha Mahindra
- Children – 2 Daughters
- Designation – Chairman and M.D., Mahindra Group
- Website – www.mahindra.com
Anand Mahindra – Childhood and Early Life
Anand was born in Bombay to Indira and Harish Mahindra. He is the grandson of Jagdish Mahindra, founder of Mahindra Groups. Anand's father was an industrialist, and his mother was a homemaker. He grew up with his two sisters, Anuja and Radhika, in Bombay.
Anand completed his schooling at Lawrence School. He graduated in architecture and filmmaking in 1977 from Harvard University and an MBA degree from the Harvard Business School in 1981.
Anand Mahindra – Personal Life
Anand got married to Anuradha, a journalist. Anuradha is now an editor by profession and has her magazine – Verve. The couple has two daughters – Aalika in Divya. Anand has a keen interest in photography and filmmaking and enjoys watching films of different genres. He also promotes art & culture and believes it to be a significant part of everyone's life. He hosts various art & crafts exhibitions, film festivals, theatre awards, etc., to encourage more people about this.
Anand Mahindra – Career Timeline
- 1981 – 1988 Anand graduated from the Harvard Business School and joined MUSCO (Mahindra Ugine Steel Company Ltd.). He worked there with the Finance Director as his Executive Assistant.
- 1989 – 1990 Anand got appointed as the Deputy MD and president of MUSCO. He helped the company to diversify into new sectors such as hospitality and real estate.
- 1991 – 2011 Anand became the Deputy MD of Mahindra & Mahindra. Under his management, the company saw immense growth in manufacturing agricultural tractors and off-road vehicles in India. He later became the M.D. of the company in 1997, and in 2001 he became the Vice-Chairman.
- 2012 - 2016 Anand became the chairman of the board of Director of Mahindra & Mahindra. After a few years, he left the post but got re-designated in 2016 as the company's Executive Chairman. Anand was also a promoter of Kotak Mahindra (a finance and insurance company). In 2013, he only stayed as a non-executive director and ceased to be a promoter.
- 2017 - Present Anand became the chairman and M.D. of Mahindra Groups, and under his leadership, the company has become one of the top 10 Industrial houses in India. Mahindra is also one of the leading Indian companies in the automobile and banking industry.
Fun Fact : Mahindra Groups in worth U.S. $19 billion.
Anand Mahindra Bio – Other Works & Positions
- He was a member of USIBC (U.S. - the India Business Council). He advises the staff and members of the organization and also promotes the policies.
- He joined the Advisory Council of SEDB (Singapore's Economic Development Board) in 2011.
- He is one of the main organizers of the Pro Kabbadi League in India.
- He also got appointed as a Trustee of the Natural History Museum, London, for four years in 2015.
Anand Mahindra – Awards and Achievements
Some of the achievements and awards won by Anand Mahindra are as follows:
|Padma Bhushan Award||By Government of India, 2020|
|Rajiv Gandhi Award||For outstanding contribution in the business field, 2004v|
|CEO of the Year||By Business Today, 201|
|Knight of the Order of Merit||By President of the French Republic, 2004|
|Sustainable Development Leadership Award||By TERI (The Energy and Resources Institute), 2014|
|Leadership Award||By American India Foundation, 2005|
|Business Leader Awards of the Year||By CNBC Asia, 2006|
|Business Leader of the Year||By the Asian Awards, 2007|
|Harvard Business School Alumni Achievement Award||By Harvard Business Award, 2009|
|Disruptor Personality of the Year||By Bloomberg TV India, 2016|
|Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year India||By E&Y, 2009|
|Social Media Person of the Year||By Internet and Mobile Association, 2016|
|Best Transformational Leader||By Asian Centre For Corporate Governance & Sustainability Awards, 2013|
|Business India Businessman of the Year||2007|
|Chevalier de I’Ordre national la Legion d’Honneur||By French Republic, 2016|
|Harvard Medal||By Harvard Alumni Association, 2014|
|Global Leadership Award||By US-India Business Council, 2012|
|Top 30 CEOs Worldwide||By Barron's List, 2016|
|World's 50 Greatest Leaders||By Fortune Magazine, 2011|
|Asia's 25 Most Powerful Businesspeople||By Fortune Magazine, 2011|
|Entrepreneur of the Year||By Forbes India Magazine, 2013|
Anand Mahindra – Philanthropy Work
- Nanhi Kali Project - He founded Nanhi Kali Project to provide primary education to underprivileged girls in India. Under this project, he has helped 1,30,000 girls in India to date.
- Donation at Humanities Centre - Anand donated $10 million to support the Humanities Centre at Harvard University. To honour him, the centre got renamed as Mahindra Humanities Centre.
- Naandi Foundation - He is the chairman and board of Directors of Naandi Foundation – An Indian Charitable Trust. The trust works towards India's social and economic development, and Anand makes significant donations here.
- Small Enterprise Help - Anand also helps the various small enterprises in India to scale up their work through his philanthropic capital.