Sudha Murthy is an engineer, teacher, author, philanthropist, entrepreneur. She is the wife of N.R. Narayan Murthy (co-founder of Infosys). Sudha left her job and helped her husband in building the business. She is a double gold medalist in engineering and computer science. She is an active social worker who founded several orphanages in the rural areas of India. Sudha has authored around 50 storybooks in both English and Kannada. Let’s get to know the life and success story of this remarkable woman.
Sudha Murthy – Key Highlights
- Full Name – Sudha Murthy
- Date of Birth – 19 August 1950 (71 years)
- Place of Birth – Shiggaon, Mysore, Karnataka, India
- Nationality – India
- Profession – Engineer, Entrepreneur, Author, Philanthropist, Teacher
- Designation – Chairperson of Infosys Foundation
- Alma Mater – New York University, Indian Institute of Science, B.V.B. College of Engineering and Technology
- Marital Status – Married
- Spouse – N.R. Narayan Murthy
- Children - 2
Sudha Murthy – Childhood and Early Life
Sudha was born in a middle-class family in Karnataka, India. Her mother, Vimala Kulkarni, was a school teacher, and her father, Dr R.H. Kulkarni, was a professional surgeon. She spent her childhood days with her maternal grandparents and learnt a lot of values.
She is a graduate in Electrical and Electronics Engineering from the B.V.B. College of Engineering & Technology and masters in Computer Science from the Indian Institute of Science. She won a gold medal from both the institutions for securing her first position in the universities.
Sudha Murthy – Personal Life
Sudha married N.R. Narayan Murthy while working as an engineer at TELCO. They have two children Rohan and Akshata. Sudha believes in uplifting society and leads a minimal lifestyle.
Sudha is fond of books, and she enjoys a good reading with her husband during their leisure time. She always believes in having a sound value system that helped her achieve so much in her life.
Fun Fact : Sudha Murthy is a movie buff who loves watching Bollywood, Tollywood, Hollywood, etc.
Sudha Murthy – Career Timeline
- Job at Tata & Founding Infosys Sudha got hired as the first female engineer at TATA. She was a development engineer and worked in Pune, Jamshedpur and Mumbai. In 1996, she founded Infosys Fondation – a public charitable trust.
- Professor at Christ University, Bangalore Sudha loves teaching, and it is her passion to educate as many children as she can. She is also a visiting professor at Christ University, Bangalore University, etc.
- Author Sudha is a well-known English and Kannada language author. She has written around six novels, two travelogues, three educative books, two technical books and several short stories.
Sudha Murthy – Awards and Achievements
Some of the awards and achievements won by Sudha Murthy are as follows:
|Padma Shri||By Government of India, 2006|
|Gold Medal||By Indian Institute of Engineers, India|
|Gold Medal||By Chief Minister of Karnataka|
|CS Desal Prize||By University of Karnataka|
|Youth Service Department Prize||By Government of Karnataka|
|Best Teacher Award||By Rotary Club of Karnataka, 1995|
|National Award||By Public Relation Society of India|
|Karnataka Rajyotsava State Award||By Karnatak Government, 2000|
|Millenium Mahila Shiromani Award||-|
|Raja Lakshmi Award||By Sri Raja Lakshmi Foundation|
|Daana Chinyamani Attimabbe Award||By Karnataka Government, 2010|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||By Raymond Book Awards, 2018|
|Honorary Degree of Science||By I.I.T. Kanpur, 2019|
Sudha Murthy – Books
Sudha is a well known Indian author. She has written books in various languages such as English, Kannada, etc. Some of her notable works are as follows:
- Books Written by Sudha Murthy – English
- The Mother I Never Knew
- How I Taught My Grandmother to Read and Other Stories
- Dollar Bahu
- House of Cards
- The Serpents Revenge
- Wise and Otherwise
- The Old Man and His God
- The Magic Drum and Other Favourite Stories
- How the Sea Became Salty
- Three Thousand Stitches
- The Bird with the Golden Wings
- Books Written by Sudha Murthy – Kannada
- Kaveri inda Mekaangige
- Dollar Sose
- Guttondu Heluve
- Nooniya Sahasagalu
- Computer lokadalli
- Hakkiya Teradalli
- Samanyralli Asamanyaru
- Sukhesini Mattu Itara Makkala Kathegalu
- Yerilitada Daariyalli
Sudha Murthy – Philanthropy
Sudha’s social work covers education, women empowerment, healthcare, child care, public hygiene, poverty. Art & culture etc. Murthy has won several awards for her commendable social work in every field. Some of her philanthropy works are as follows:
- Infosys Foundation – Sudha is the trustee of Infosys Foundation. It got founded in 1996, and it is a public charitable trust. Sudha has built more than 2500 houses in flood-affected areas through this foundation. It also worked during natural calamities like floods and hurricanes in Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, the tsunami in Andaman and Tamil Nadu, earthquakes in Gujarat, etc.
- Libraries – Sudha aspired to build a library in every school in India. Her vision has helped in building more than 70,000 libraries across India so far.
- Public Toilets – Sudha also works for general hygiene and has helped build more than 16,000 public toilets in rural areas. She has also made over a hundred of them in the city of Bangalore.