Zia Mody is a well-known Indian businesswoman, foremost corporate lawyer and the daughter of former Attorney General of India – Soli Sorabjee. Zia is the founding partner of one of India's leading law firms – AZB & Partners. She has worked with over a half dozen big enterprises like Tata Group, Reliance, Vedanta, Aditya Birla Group, etc. Her ability to deal with business issues and deals is commendable. Let's get to know the life story of this brilliant and fearless woman through this article.
Wow Fact – Zia Mody was continuously featured in 25 Most powerful businesswomen in India by Business Today from 2004 to 2011.
Zia Mody – Key Highlights
- Full Name – Zia Mody
- Date of Birth – 19 July 1956 (65 years)
- Place of Birth – Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Profession – Corporate Lawyer, Businesswoman
- Alma Mater – Cambridge University, Harvard Law School
- Designation – Founding Partner of AZB & Group
- Marital Status – Married
- Spouse – Jaydev Mody (Chairman of Delta Corp Ltd)
Zia Mody – Personal Life
Zia was born in Mumbai in a well-educated and reputed family to Zena and Soli Sorabjee. Her mother is a philanthropist, and her father was the former Attorney General of India. She married an Indian business tycoon – Jaydev Mody (chairman of Delta Corp). The couple has three daughters – Anjali, Aditi, and Aarti.
Note – In 2015, Zia Mody was awarded Lifetime Achievement Award by Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards.
Zia Mody Success Story – Career Timeline
- Early Life Zia studied at Elphinstone College, Mumbai, before studying law at Selwyn College, Cambridge. She also has a master's degree in law from Harvard Law College.
- Attorney Mody qualified for the New York State Bar examination and worked as an attorney in Banker & McKenzie in New York for five years.
Fun Fact – In 2018, Zia was recognized as the Top 13 female Acritas Star by Acritas Star.
- Founded AZB & Partners Mody came back to Mumbai in 1984 and started her practice. She founded AZB & Partners by merging twice with the other firms. Zia's company is one of the largest and most reputed law firms in India.
Zia Mody Bio – Awards and Achievements
Zia Mody is one of the leading corporate lawyers in India. She has won several awards and achievements for her outstanding work in this field. Some of them are as follows:
- She got recommended for Securities Law, M&A, Project Finance, and Private Equity – By RSG India F-Report, 2017
- She got recognized as Leading Lawyer – By IFLR1000 Women Leaders, 2018
- Mody classified as Leading Individual for Banking & Finance, Investment Funds, Corporate and M&A – By Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2018
- Professional of the Year – By UK India Awards, 2017
- Market Leader (Mergers & Acquisitions) – By IFLR1000 Financial & Corporate Guide, 2018
- Market Leading Lawyer (Corporate/M&A) – By Asia Law Profiles, 2016, 2018
- Leading individual for Finance, Banking, M&A and Corporate and Investments Funds – By Legal 500 Asia Pacific, 2016
- Star Individual for M&A and Corporate, Brand 1 lawyer for Private Equity, Brand 1 lawyer for Banking & Finance – By Chambers and Partners Global, 2016
- Financial Express Knowledge Professional of the Year – By Financial Express, 2011
- India's 100 Most Powerful CEOs – By The Economic Times, 2004 – 2006
- Economic Times Award (for Corporate Excellence) – By Economic Times, 2010
- Top 50 Most Powerful Women – By Fortune India
- Influential Women in Business – By Forbes Magazine
Zia Mody – Affiliations and Memberships
|Deputy Chairman and Director – Hong Kong & Shanghai Banking Corporation, Hong Kong|
|Member of Governing Board of ICCA (International Council for Commercial Arbitration.|
|Foreign Arbitrator – Panel of Arbitrators of China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC).|
|Member of the CII National Council.|
|On the panel of an expert committee – By Law Commission of India (for Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996)|
|Member – Reserve Bank of India Committee (for Comprehensive Financial Services for Small Businesses and Low-Income Households)|
|Member – Godrej Committee (for Corporate Governance set by the mInistry of Corporate Affairs)|
|Member – World Bank Administrative Tribunal|
|Vice President and Member – London Court of International Arbitration|
|Deputy Chairman and Non-executive Director – HSBC Asia Pacific Board.|
Zia Mody – Philanthropy
Zia Mody is also an active philanthropist and believes in donating a part of her wealth to the poor and underprivileged of society. She mainly donates to the Baha'i Fund and also contributes to the Jai Vakeel Foundation.
Note – Zia was recognized as India Managing Partner of the Year by Asian Legal Business (Thomson Reuters) in 2016.
Zia Mody – Top Female Global Lawyer
Zia Mody is one of the first female lawyers in India who has excelled in the corporate sector. It is one of those sectors that used to be mainly dominated by males, but Zia proved herself and paved the way for other women. She is an inspiration for all those budding female lawyers who want to pursue their careers in the corporate field.