Shahnaz Husain is the beautician, entrepreneur, founder, M.D. & chairperson of The Shahnaz Hussain Group in India. She is best known for her work in the Ayurveda and Herbal beauty care movement. She took the Indian herbal worldwide and received various international acclaims. Shahnaz is also the recipient of the fourth highest civilian award by the Government of India – Padma Shri. Let’s get to know the success story of this extraordinary woman through this article.
Note – In 1985, Shahnaz was recognized as Outstanding Woman Entrepreneur by FICCI.
Shahnaz Hussain – Key Highlights
- Full Name – Shahnaz Hussain
- Date of Birth – 5 November 1944 (77 years)
- Place of Birth – Samarkand, Uzbekistan
- Nationality – Indian
- Alma Mater – St. Mary’s Convent Inter College, Prayagraj, India
- Profession – Beautician, Entrepreneur
- Website – www.shahnaz.in
Shahnaz Hussain – Personal Life
Shahnaz is the daughter of Sayeeda Begum and Justice Nasir Ullah Beg. Her father was the former chief justice of the Allahabad High Court, and her mother was the daughter of Commander-in-chief of the Hyderabad army. Thus, Shahnaz comes from a w
Her grandfather also served as the chief justice of the Hyderabad High Court, and he was a famous politician of the United Province. Shahnaz’s uncle, Hameedullah Beg, was the former Chief Justice of India. She married Nasir Hussain at a very young age. The couple has two children. Her husband died in 1999 owing to a cardiac arrest, and her son committed suicide in 2008.
Shahnaz Hussain – Education
Hussain completed her schooling at St. Mar’s Convent Inter College, Prayagraj. She then moved to Iran to study Ayurveda while her husband got posted in Tehran. She also got trained in cosmetic therapy, cosmetology from leading institutions such as Schwarzkopf, Helena Rubinstein, Christine Valmy, Lean of Copenhagen, and Lancome.
She returned to New Delhi and started Women’s World. Nelofar Currimbhoy takes her legacy forward, and she is also the author of Shahnaz’s biography ‘Flame’.
Fun Fact – In 2015, Shahnaz Hussain won the Entrepreneur India Award for Outstanding Ayurvedic Innovation – By Entrepreneur Media India, FICCI, NEN and NASSCOM.
Shahnaz Hussain Biography – Career Timeline and Herbal Clinics
- Herbal Clinic – Shahnaz opened her first Herbal Clinic in 1971 with the concept of Herbal care and cure. She produced therapeutic products for specific hair and skin problems and premium ranges for skin such as Oxygen, Pearl, 24 Carat Gold, Diamond, Platinum, and Plant Stem Cells Range.
- Ayurvedic Salon and Spa – Hussain also operated her premium Ayurveda Spa treatment and salon. They offer a wide range of proprietary medicines for Body, Skin, and Hair. Their first got opened in New Delhi.
- Franchise – Shahnaz’s first franchise opened in 1979 in Calcutta, and within a year, she had over 80 franchises all over India. Now Hussain has more than 400 franchises in over 138 countries. Their every product is without any animal testing
Shahnaz Hussain – Other Works
- Shahnaz got invited to Harvard Business School to speak about her success story. As a result, she established an international brand without any commercial advertising, and it also got included in Harvard’s case study.
- She also got invited to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), London School of Economics (LSE), and Oxford University.
- Hussain represented India at Barak Obama’s World Summit for Entrepreneurs.
- Shahnaz walked the red carpet and spoke at the House of Lords, the Cannes Film Festival and the House of Common (British Parliament).
Shahnaz Hussain – Awards and Achievements
Some of the awards and achievements won by Shahnaz Hussain are as follows:
|Padma Shri Award||By the Government of India, 2006|
|World’s Greatest Entrepreneur||By Success (the U.S. business magazine), 1996|
|Leonardo da Vinci Diamond Award||By International Biographic Centre at Washington DC, 2009|
|Woman of Substance Award||By Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 2009|
|Lifetime Leadership Achievement Award||At 2nd Annual Women in Leadership Forum|
|Outstanding Ayurvedic Innovation Award||By Indo-British Business Forum, 2012|
|Olympia Asia Award for Outstanding Contribution in Plant Cosmetic and Ayurveda||By Olympia Beauty Show, 2012|
|Golden Peacock Entrepreneurial Leadership Award||At London, 2014|
|Woman Super Achiever Award||By Femina, 2017|
|Ayurveda Innovation Award||By Suryadatta Group, 2017|
Shahnaz Hussain – Corporate Social Responsibility
Shahnaz Hussain, just like a responsible citizen, is well aware of her responsibilities against society. Therefore, she does a lot of social work with her company and makes sure to help as many as she can.
She has also tied up with the Government’s skills development programs in beauty and wellness. Shahnaz and her beauty academy have given certified pieces of training to more than 40,000 underprivileged women in India. She also distributed thousands of free toolkits for them to start their businesses.
Note – In 2013, Hussain won The Glory of India Award by Dubai for outstanding innovation in Ayurvedic beauty care.
Shahnaz Hussain – Indian Beauty with Brain
Shahnaz is one of the first businesswomen in India that received various international appreciation. Her contribution to the Ayurveda and beauty industry is commendable. This woman is an inspiration for every entrepreneur who dreams of having a global brand.