Sonu Sood is an Indian actor, producer, model, social worker, and philanthropist who work in Bollywood and Tollywod films. The reel life villain came out as a hero in real life and showered help on thousands of people in the COVID-19 pandemic. Sonu is a critically acclaimed Indian actor who won praise after his role in Dabangg as an antagonist. Today, in this article, we will dive deep into this real-life hero’s life and touch on several aspects like controversies and filmography.
Sonu Sood Biography – Statistics
- Full name: Sonu Sood
- Date of Birth: 30th July 1973
- Place of Birth: Moga, Punjab, India
- Profession: Actor, producer, philanthropist, model and humanitarian
- Parents: Shakti Sood, Saroj Sood
- Marital Status: Married
- Spouse: Sonali Sood
Sonu Sood Biography – Early Life
Sonu Sood was born in Moga, Punjab, on 30th July 1973 to his father, Shakti Sood, an entrepreneur and mother, Saroj Sood, a school teacher. He did his schooling at Sacred Heart School and later pursued engineering from the Yeshwantrao Chavan College. He has a degree in electronic engineering. Despite all, he had a great interest in acting and started his acting career with commercials and modeling. He has two sisters Malvika Sachar and Monika Sood.
Note : Sonu Sood got married to Sonali Sood in the year 1996. They have two sons named Ishant and Ayaan.
Sonu Sood Success Story – Film Career
Sonu Sood works predominately in Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Kannada and Punjabi Films.
- He started his film career in the year 1999 with the Tamil films named “Kallazhagar” and “Nenjinile.”
- The year 2000 played a negative role in the Telugu film “Hands Up.”
- In the year 2001, he appeared in a Tamil film, “Majunu.”
- In 2002 he appeared in the Hindi films “Shaheed-e-Azam” as Bhagat Singh
- In 2004 he gained recognition by playing Abhishek Bachchan’s brother in “Yuva.”
- He also gained recognition in “Aashiq Banaya Aapne” in the year 2005
- He gained greater recognition for his work in “Super.”
- In 2009 the role played by Pasupathy in “Arundhati” was outstanding. He also received Best Supporting Actor Filmfare Award for his Telugu blockbuster “Arundhati.”
- In 2010 he played a leading negative role in “Dabangg” and also received IIFA and Best Actor in a negative role Guild Award for the movie “Dabangg.”
Fun Fact: Sonu was also part of a Chinese film Kung Fu Yoga that starred Jackie Chan in the lead role.
Sonu Sood Biography – Philanthropy
- Sood Charity Foundation Sonu Sood founded The Sod Charity Foundation. It is an NGO founded by him to become a support system for countless families in the pandemic. This foundation is an initiative to motivate people to join hands towards serving the people in need.
- Sambhavam- IAS Coaching scholarship The free coaching program by Sonu Sood is a unique program initiated for the aspirants of Civil Services. It provides free IAS Coaching services to the students of India.
- Sonu Sood’s COVID-19 Social Work In 2020 due to the nationwide lockdown due to the pandemic Covid-19, Sonu Sood helped thousands of migrant workers reach their homes. He also arranged buses, special trains and chartered flights to bring back Indian students from abroad. On 25th July 2020, Sonu Sood immediately sent a family a tractor when a video of a farmer’s daughter ploughing a field went viral on social media.
On 5th August, Sonu Sood also arranged a chartered flight to bring back the medical students of Tamil Nadu from Moscow who were stranded in this pandemic Note: On 19th February 2021, Sonu Sood also launched a campaign named “Ilaaj India.”
Sonu Sood – Awards and Achievements
- 2009 - He received Andhra State Nandi Award for Best Villain
- 2009 - Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for his Telugu blockbuster Arundhati
- 2010 - Apsara Award for Best Actor in a Negative role
- 2011 - IIFA Award for the Best Actor in a negative role for the movie Dabangg
- 2011 - Guild Award for the Best Actor in a negative role for the movie Dabangg
- 2012 - SIIMA Award for the Best Actor in a negative role for the Taegu movie Julayi
- 2014 - Stardust Award for the Best Actor in a Negative role
- 2020 - He was chosen for the ‘SDG Special Humanitarian Action Award’
- The residents of a village in Telangana have constructed a temple to dedicate Sonu Sood for his efforts to help the migrants to reach their homes.
Sonu Sood Wiki – Brand Endorsements
Some of the Brands Sonu Sood has endorsed are-
- Spice Money
- Shyam Steel
Sonu Sood Biography – Fans and Followings
Sonu Sood portrays negative roles in South Indian and Bollywood Films, but his philanthropic activities during the pandemic have made him gain a huge fan following.Sonu Sood has over:
- 12.1 million+ followers on Instagram
- 8 Million+ followers on Twitter
Fact: In 2021, Sonu Sood has also made his music debut with the singer Sunanda Sharma‘s “Pagal Nahi Hona”.
Sonu Sood Bio – Controversies
- A producer Sheetal Talwar had filed a fraud case against Sonu Sood, saying that he had lent a property in Mumbai
- A controversy arose when Sonu Sood stepped out of the Bollywood film Manikarnika. Kangana Ranaut accused him of leaving the film because of working with a female director
- BMC filed a complaint in January 2021 for converting a six-storey building into a hotel for the quarantine facilities.
Sonu Sood – On-Screen Villain to Off-Screen Hero
Despite all the struggles Sonu Sood has undergone, he still made a place in both the Bollywood and South Indian film industries. He also came out as a Messiah to the helpless people in this pandemic. He has been praised for his commendable work in this pandemic.