Manish Malhotra is a well-known fashion designer which turned out stylist and costume designer of India. He is popularly known for his work in Bollywood, Hollywood, Tamil cinema, and Telugu cinema. His marvelous creation with all the glamorous and bold looks is everyone’s favorite. He is also very reputed for the design of his wedding lehengas. Everyone wants to be a Manish Malhotra’s bride and look stunning on their wedding day. He also has his couture label that offers bridal couture, men’s wear, and wedding wear across his various stores in India and Dubai.
Note : Malhotra often promotes Indian craftsmanship and regional handicrafts from rural India and collaborates with them.
Manish Malhotra – Statistics
- Full Name - Manish Malhotra
- Date of Birth - 5 December 1966 (54 years)
- Place of Birth - Bombay, Maharashtra, India
- Alma Matter - Elphinstone College
- Profession - Fashion Designer, Costume Designer, Stylist
- Net Worth - $25 million
- Zodiac Sign - Sagittarius
Manish Malhotra - Early Life
Manish always had a knack for fashion and suggested to his mother many styling tips as a child. He was an average student but loved extracurricular activities such as painting, sketching, drawing, and more. He started working in a boutique for 500 a month. Manish doesn’t have any qualifications in fashion and design but, this guy started styling all the biggies of Bollywood.
Fun Fact : Manish made his debut in Bollywood just at the age of 25 years.
Manish Malhotra – Career Timeline
- Manish started his career as a small-time stylist in Bollywood. His initial days were full of struggle as having a dedicated stylist was not popular in Bollywood films.
- He debuted as a costume stylist in 1990.
- He won his first Filmfare award for best costume designer in 1995 for the film Rangeela. He styled Urmila Matondkar in that film.
- After that, it was no looking back for him. He worked as a stylist for various films and won numerous awards.
- Manish has designed several Hollywood celebrities such as Will Smith, Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, and Kylie Minogue.
Manish Malhotra – Notable Projects
- He designed a traditional outfit for Michael Jackson during his India tour in the late 1990s.
- He designed clothes for Jean-Claude Van Damme, Mira Nair’s Vanity Fair, Kylie Minogue, Reese Witherspoon, and Jermaine Jackson.
- He designed a wedding outfit for Princess Riyadh.
- He worked with Google for G Suite promotions.
- He worked with Seetu Kohli for his first home ware line, named Manish Malhotra Mansion.
Manish Malhotra - Costumes Designed (Filmography)
Manish Malhotra has designed costumes for various superstars. He has worked as a designer for 50+ films. Some of the clothes designed by him are as follows:
- Swarg – Juhi Chawla, 1990
- Gumrah - Sridevi, 1993
- Rangeela – Urmila Matondkar, 1995
- Raja Hindustani – Karishma Kapoor, 1996
- Gupt: The Hidden Truth – Manisha Koirala and Kajol, 1997
- Dil to Paagal Hai - Madhuri Dixit and Karishma Kapoor, 1997
- Kuch Kuch Hota Hai - Kajol and Rani Mukherji, 1998
- Kaho Naa Pyaar Hai – Hrithik Roshan and Ameesha Patel, 2000
- Hamara Dil Aapke Paas Hai – Aishwariya Rai, 2000
- Mohabbatein – Aishwarya Rai, Kim Sharma, Shamita Shetty, and Preeti Jhangiani, 2000
- Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham – Kareena Kapoor, Kajol, Jaya Bachchan, and Rani Mukherji, 2001
- Kal Ho Naa Ho – Preity Zinta, Jaya Bachchan, Sonali Bendre, Kajol, Rani Mukherji, 2003
- Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna - Amitabh Bachchan, Abhishek Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukherji, Kirror Kher, Preity Zinta, Arjun Ramphal, Kajol, 2006
- Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute to Love - Priyanka Chopra, Juhi Chawla, Vidya Balan, Anjana Sukhani, Ayesha Takia, Perizaad Zorabian, 2007
- Om Shanti Om - Shah Rukh Khan, Arjun Ramphal, Deepika Padukone, Kirror Kher, Shreyas Talpade, Rani Mukherji, Priyanka Chpora, Urmila Matondkar, Shilpa Shetty, Malaika Arora, Tabu, Kajol, Lara Dutta, Karishma Kapoor, etc., 2007
- Jab We Met – Kareena Kapoor, 2007
- Dostana - Priyanka Chopra, Shilpa Shetty, 2008
Manish Malhotra - Awards and Achievements
Some of the awards won by Manish are as follows:
- Fashion Awards:
- Filmfare Award - Best Costune Design, Rangeela, 1995
- Filmfare Award - Glamour & Style Award
- Bollywood Movie Award - Best Costume Design, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, 1999
- Bollywood Movie Award - Designer of the Year, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, 2002
- Bollywood Movie Award - Designer of the Year, Veer Zaara, 2005
- Bollywood Movie Award - Designer of the Year, Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, 2007
- Zee Cine Award - Costume Design
- Zee Cine Award - Best Costume, Mohabbatein
- Zee Cine Award - Zenith London for Best Costume, 2008
- IIFA Award - Best Costume, Mohabbatein, 2001
- IIFA Award - Best Costume, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, 2002
- IIFA Award - Best Costume, Kal Ho Naa Ho, 2004
- IIFA Award - Best Costume Designing, 2017
- Filmfare Awards South - Costume Design, Enthiran, 2010
- Other Awards:
- Showtime Opinion Poll Award - For Raja Hindustan
- Rok Glam Award Zoom - Contemporary Wear Design, 2007
- Siemen’s Viewer’s Choice Award - Dil To PagalHai
- Elle Style Awards - Stylish Designer of the Year, 1999
- Indo American Society Award - Contribution to the Fashion Designing
- Indira Priyadarshini Memorial Award - Contribution to the Fashion Industry
- National Institute of Fashion Technology - Felicitation
- Indian Affairs of Network 7 Media Group - Fashion Icon of the Decade, 2013
Manish Malhotra Social Work – Empowering Girl Child
Manish Malhotra works closely for the saving Girl Child. He started a campaign, “Save and Empower the Girl Child”, in 2002 & a show at JW Marriott, Mumbai, where various celebrities walked the ramp with their daughters. They embraced traditional Indian crafts like Kashmiri and Chikankari embroidery.
He put up another show in 2014 at the Lilavati Hospital to support the “Save the Girl Child”. Various Bollywood celebrities like Malaika Arora Khan, Madhuri Dixit Nene, Lara Dutta, Mandira Bedi, etc., walked the ramp.
Manish Malhotra – Styling the Bollywood Since 1990
Staring from a small-time designer to styling all the Bollywood superstars, this man has come a long way. His story is nothing but an inspiration for all those people who believe in themselves and knows the importance of hard work.