Sunil Mittal is an Indian born billionaire businessman, philanthropist and recipient of India's third highest civilian award – Padma Bhushan. Sunil is the chairperson and founder of the Indian conglomerate - Bharti Enterprises. Sunil is also one of the richest men in Asia and 6th in India. Sunil has also served as the chairman of the International Chamber of Commerce since 2016. His company got diversified in many sectors such as telecom, hospitality, agriculture, insurance, education, real estate, food, malls, and other ventures. Let's get to read the success story of this business tycoon.
Sunil Bharti Mittal – Key Highlights
- Full Name – Sunil Bharti Mittal
- Date of Birth – 23 October 1957
- Place of Birth – Ludhiana, Punjab, India
- Nationality – Indian
- Alma Mater – Punjab University
- Profession – Businessman, Entrepreneur, Philanthropy
- Designation – Funder & Chairman Bharti Enterprises
- Marital Status – Married
- Spouse – Nyna Mittal
- Children – Married
Sunil Bharti Mittal – Early Life
Sunil was born to Sat Paul Mittal in a Punjabi Agrawal family. His father was a Member of the Parliament (Rajya Sabha) from INC (Indian National Congress) from Punjab. Sunil completed his schooling at Wynberg Allen School, Mussoorie and Scindia School, Gwalior. Bharti graduated with a Bachelor of Arts and Sciences from Punjab University, Chandigarh. He lost his father due to a cardiac arrest in 1992.
Sunil Bharti Mittal – Personal Life and Family
Mittal got married to Nyna Mittal. The couple has three children – two twin sons and one daughter. His wife is a philanthropist, and his daughter is an investor. Sunil's sons are businessmen and entrepreneurs.
Sunil Bharti Mittal – Career Timeline
- Early Career – Sunil started his entrepreneur journey in 1976, with an investment of INR 20,000 at the age of 18. He is the first-generation businessman of his family, and his first work was making crankshafts for bicycle manufacturers. In 1980, he moved to Mumbai with his brother after selling his business.
- New Venture – Mittal started Bharti Overseas Trading Company – An import enterprise and purchased its license from exporting companies in Punjab in 1981. They imported thousands of portable electric-power generators for Suzuki Motors from Japan. But unfortunately, it got banned by the Indian Government.
- Push Button Phones – Sunil started assembling these phones in India in 1984. They also tied up with the German company – Siemens AG- and started making cordless phones, fax machines, etc.
- Telecom Company – Mittal won the bid for one of the four network licenses auction in India in 1992. His plan got approved in 1994, and Sunil launched the services in1995 in Delhi. As a result, his company became the first telecom company to cross 2-million subscribers for mobile. Bharti Airtel is one of India's second-largest and world's largest telecom companies. It has operations in 18 plus countries with a customer base of 399 million across Africa and Asia.
Sunil Bharti Mittal – Philanthropy & Social Work
Sunil is one of the most prominent philanthropists of India. Some of his philanthropic work is as follows:
- Bharti Foundation – This foundation offers free education to the poor people in villages. They have also established several schools and distributed uniforms, free books and mid-day meals to the kids.
- Satya Bharti School Program – This foundation is running more than 250 schools in India. They teach free of cost to over 45,000 students in rural areas.
- Donation – Mittal's family pledged to donate 10% of their wealth ($70 billion) to the charity in 2017. It will provide quality education to the economically weaker society by establishing top universities in India.
Sunil Bharti Mittal – Awards and Achievements
Some of the awards won by Sunil Mittal are as follows:
- Padma Bhushan – By Government of India, 2007
- Transforming India Leader – By NDTV Business Leader Awards, 2007
- Asia Businessman of the Year – By Fortune Magazine, 2006
- INSEAD Business Leader - 2011
- Telecom Person of the Year – By Voice & Data Magazine, 2006
- CEO of the Year – By Business Standard, 2006
- Best Asian Telecom CEO – By Telecom Asia Awards, 2005
- Best Indian CEO – By Institutional Investor, 2005
- Philanthropist of the Year – By the Asian Awards, 2010
- Business Leader of the Year – By Economic Times, 2005
- Honoris Causa Doctorate of Sciences Degree – By Amity University, Gurgaon, 2016
- Honoris Causa Doctorate of Sciences Degree – By Shri Mata Vaishno Devi University, Katra, 2018
- Honoris Causa Doctorate – By ESCP Business School, Paris, 2018
Sunil Bharti Mittal – Industry Affiliations and Memberships
- Chairman – GSM Association, 2017-19
- Honorary Chairman – International Chamber of Commerce
- Member – Telecom Board of International telecommunication Union
- Chairman – World Economic Forum's Telecommunication Steering Committee
- Member – International Business Council
- Member – World Economic Forum
- Member & Board of Directors – Qatar Foundation Endowment
- Member & Board of Directors – Standard Chartered Bank Plc, 2007-09
- Member & Board of Directors – Hero Honda Motors, 2006-09
- President – Confederation of Indian Industry, 2007-08
- Co-chairman of Annual Meeting – World Economic Forum, 2007
- Member & Board of Directors – Global GSM Association, 2003-07
Sunil Bharti Mittal – Other Memberships
- Member & Global Advisory Council – Harvard University, 2018
- Member - Vice Chancellor's Circle of Advisors on India, University of Cambridge
- Member & Board of Dean Advisors – Harvard Business School, 2010-19
- Member – London Business School, 2010-13