Cadila Healthcare Ltd. (Zydus Cadila) is an Indian pharmaceutical company. Its headquarters is in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India, and they are mainly engaged in the manufacturing of generic drugs. The company got founded by Ramanbhai Patel, a former lecturer, in 1952. Zydus Cadila is listed on the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) and National Stock Exchange (NSE). Let us delve into this article to read the success story of this billionaire dollar worth company.
Note – Cadila Healthcare got ranked under 100 Fortune India List of companies in 2020.
Cadila Healthcare – Key Highlights
- Company Name – Cadila Healthcare Ltd.
- Company Type – Private
- Headquarters – Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
- Traded as – BSE: 532321, NSE: CADILAHC
- Sector – Pharmaceuticals
- Founded – 1952 (69 years ago)
- Founder – Ramanbhai Patel
- Key People – Pankaj Ramanbahi Patel, Sharvil P. Patel
- Revenue – US $2 billion (as of 2021)
- Net Income - $280 million (as of 2021)
- Number of Employees – 25,000
- Website – www.zyduscadila.com
Cadila Healthcare Founder - Ramanbhai Patel
Cadila Healthcare’s founder is Ramanbhai Patel. He was a chemist and a professional lecturer who founded an Ahmedabad-based pharmaceutical company with Indravadan Modi’s help, which later became Cadila Laboratories.
Patel was born in Kathor, South Gujarat, India, and studied chemistry honors from Gujarat University. Ramanbhai was also the recipient of the Gandhi Mandela Peace award in 2019, and he took his last breath in Mumbai on 19 September 2001. He died aged 76 years.
Cadila Healthcare – Products
Cadila has over five pharmaceutical production operations in India, and they make active pharmaceutical ingredients at three sites in India, Vadodara Plant, Ankleshwar Plants, and Patalganaga Plant. They manufacture an extensive range of products, and some of them are as follows:
- Generic Drugs
- Animal Health
- Over-the-counter Drugs
- Contact Lenses
Cadila Healthcare – Significant Work & Achievements
Cadila is one of India’s best pharma companies in India. Some of its significant works are as follows:
- They launched the world’s first adalimumab biosimilar at 1/5 of the original price – Exemption
- They also launched the first research-based drug molecule to treat Diabetic Dyslipidemia – Saroglitazar under the brand name Lipaglyn.
- Their injectable manufactured drug, ketorolac tromethamine, got recalled due to microbial growth in 2019.
- Cadila’s drug, Desidustat, got approval from USFDA to perform clinical trials on cancer patients in 2020.
- They also produced the generics for hepatitis C treatment – sofosbuvir, under the brand name SoviHep.
Cadila Healthcare – COVID-19 Vaccine Development
Cadila Healthcare Ltd. is one of the several companies in India that received license agreements from Gilead Sciences to produce Remdesivir.
The company also got permission to conduct human trials to develop the COVID-19 vaccine in July 2020. It got named ZyCoV-D by DCGI (Drugs Controller General of India) and hit the Indian market in September 2021.
Cadila Healthcare – Corporate Control
Cadila’s major shareholder is the Patel family. Pankaj Patel, son of Ramanbhai Patel, is the present CEO and chairman of the company. Pankaj is one of the richest men in India, according to Forbes India Magazine, 2021. His net worth is approx. $4 billion, making him the 46th richest Indian.
Cadila Healthcare – Acquisitions
Some of the acquisitions of Cadila Healthcare are as follows:
- German Remedies – 2015
- Quimica e Farmaceutica Nikkho do Brasil Ltda (Nikkho) - 2007
Note - Cadila Healthcare won the Welcome Trust Award – R & D for Affordable Healthcare in India, 2010
Cadila Healthcare – Competitors
Zydus Cadila is one of the leading companies in the Indian pharmaceutical industry, but it still has many tough competitors in the market. Some of them are as follows:
- Sun Pharma
- Serum Institute of India
- Ajanta Pharma
- Torrent Pharmaceuticals
- Lupin Ltd
- Aurobindo Pharma
Cadila Healthcare – Future Plans
Some of the upcoming plans of the Cadila are as follows:
- The company is planning to launch its very own drugs. Cadila will discover drugs in the coming future.
- The chairman of the company, Pankaj Patel, says that it is fully prepared for the long haul, and they are looking forward to developing as many new drugs as possible.
- Cadila, along with Eli Lilly, is in the process of developing the cardiovascular drug. It will help the Indian company earn $300 million in royalties and milestone payments.