Harbhajan Singh is that bubbly guy everyone knows & has helped India win many trophies and made a place in every cricket fan's heart. Harbhajan had a beautiful and long cricketing career. He is one of those few cricketers in India who got a chance to play in every form of cricket. He got many opportunities to play for India and proved his potential almost every time. Harbhajan is the second-highest wicket-taker (by an off-spinner) in the history of cricket. Let us delve deep into this legend's life and try to understand the ups & downs of his life.
Harbhajan Singh - Early Life
Harbhajan Singh belongs to a Sikh family. His father is a businessman and, his mother a homemaker. Harbhajan is the only son of his parents and, he had to inherit the family business. But it was his father's dream to make Harbhajan a cricketer. He wanted to see his son play for the Indian team and represent India in various formats.
Cricket is one of the most loved sports in India, helped Harbhajn a lot to win name and fame amongst the people. He received many appreciation and accolades from various governments for his outstanding performances.
Harbhajan Singh – Statistics
- Full Name - Harbhajan Singh Plaha
- Born - 3rd July 1980 (40 years)
- Birth Place - Jalandhar, Punjab, India
- Nickname - The Turbanator, Bhaji, Bhajju Paa
- Role - Bowler
- Bowling Style - Right-arm off-spin
- Batting Style - Right-handed
Harbhajan Singh - Family & Personal Life
Harbhajan Singh has five sisters. After the death of his father in 2000, he had to become the head of the family. He took all the responsibilities on his shoulder and performed everything very well.
Harbhajan dated a Bollywood actress Geeta Basra. They both got married in 2015 in Jalandhar & the couple also has a daughter (Hianay Heer Plaha), born in 2016.
Harbhajan Singh – Career
- Domestic Cricket Harbhajan started playing under Punjab's team at the age of 15 years. His debut was impressive and, he took so many wickets against Delhi, Haryana, and Himachal Pradesh. He played many tournaments like Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy, etc. He later got a chance to play for the Indian Cricket team because of his outstanding performances in domestic cricket.
- 2007 T20I World Cup Harbhajan got a chance to play in the T20I World Cup. His performance was overall good. He took seven wickets with an economy rate of 7.91. India won that tournament and, Harbhajan had a noticeable contribution to it.
- Test Career Harbhajan Singh had one of the best test careers. His performance was brilliant and, he is one of the highest wicket-taking bowlers. Harbhajan has taken 417 wickets in 103 matches. He also has a twenty-five 5-wickets haul with a bowling average of 32.46. Harbhajan has scored 2224 runs with his bat and, the highest run scored by him is 115. Harbhajan's wicket-taking technique got him various matches and, he managed to impress his teammates and his fans with his consistent performances.
- 2003 and 2007World Cups Harbhajan Singh is one of those lucky cricket players who got a chance to be a part of three World Cups. However, his performance in the 2003 World Cup was not that impressive but, he managed to deliver in the next World Cup. In 2007, Harbhajan had a mixed performance (not so good), and in the next World Cup, he performed well. However, India lost both of the World Cups.
- 2011 World Cup In 2011, India managed to win that World Cup after 28 years with the contribution of all the players. Harbhajan Singh's performance in 2011 was not something impressive. He again had an average performance in the tournament. After the 2011 World Cup, he got also dropped out of the team for a while.
Harbhajan Singh - Awards and Achievements
Harbhajan Singh has won many awards for his outstanding performances in cricket. Some of the awards won by him are:
- Padma Shri Award, 2009
- Arjuna Award, 2003
Harbhajan Singh - Injury
Injury is a part of every sports person's life. It is almost impossible that you have not had even a single serious injury during your career. The same thing happened with Harbhajan Singh.
His injury in his finger made him suffer a lot during matches. He gave his worst performances at that time and had a low bowling figure. He had to go through a finger surgery and take at least seven months off. He came back stronger and helped India take wickets against Australia in the test matches.
Harbhajan Singh - IPL
Harbhajan Singh being one of the finest cricketers, every team wanted to own him. He has played for three different IPL franchises.
- Mumbai Indian - 2008-2017
- Chennai Super Kings - 2018-2020
- Kolkata Knight Riders - 2021-Present
His performances in the IPL were also impressive and, he helped his teams won matches several times. He always maintains a good bowling figure and delivered few runs too.
Harbhajan Singh - Film Career
Harbhajan Singh has also acted and done special appearances in many films. Some of the movies done by him are:
- Bhaji in Problem - Special Appearance, 2013
- MujhseShadiKarogi - Special Appearance, 2004
- Second Hand Husband - Special Appearance, 2015
- Dikkiloona - 2020
- Friendship - 2020
Harbhajan Singh - Fans and Followings
Harbhajan Singh is very famous amongst all cricket lovers. It has helped him generate a good number of followers over a period. He loves interacting with his fans and is very active on his various social media accounts too.
He has over 4 million followers on Instagram and more than 11 million followers on Twitter.
Harbhajan Singh - Brand Endorsements
Harbhajan Singh has a good presence and fan base. A lot of brands prefer having him as their brand ambassadors. Some of the brands endorsed by him are:
- Royal Stag
- Muthoot Finance
Harbhajan Singh – Sporty Attitude
Harbhajan Singh is one of those sportspeople who has made their country proud on so many levels. This guy showed the meaning of true dedication and hard work. His devotion to the game is commendable and, this helped him achieve his dreams. He is a true inspiration for all budding sportsperson.