Bachchan, the name is enough for everyone to recognize him. This 78-year-old legendary and veteran actor is known for his elegance, statesmanship, and mass appeal. He is known as one of the most influential actors of the Hindi film industry who has completed more than 50 years in Bollywood. Even in his late 70s, this man is ruling the industry and gives good competition to all the newcomers.
Amitabh Bachchan – Statistics
- Full Name - Amitabh Bachchan
- Nickname - Big B, Shahenshah, Angry Young Man, Star of the Millenium
- Born - 11 October 1942 (78 years)
- Birth Place - Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh, India
- Occupation - Actor, TV Host, Producer, Singer
- Spouse - Jaya Bachchan
- Children – Abhishek Bachchan, Shweta Bachchan Nanda
Amitabh Bachchan - Early Life
Amitabh was born as Inquillab Srivastava in Allahabad to a renowned poet, Harivansh Rai Bachchan. Her mother, Teji Bachchan, was a social activist and, he is the elder brother of Ajitabh. He completed his schooling at Boy’s High School & College, Allahabad, and Sherwood College, Nainital. He graduated from Kirorimal College, Delhi University.
After his graduation, he applied for the job of a newsreader in All India Radio only to face rejection. So he started working as a business executive for Bird & Company, Kolkata.
Amitabh Bachchan - Family and Personal Life
Amitabh married Indian actress and politician Jaya Bhaduri in 1973. The couple has two kids Abhishek Bachchan and Shweta Bachchan Nanda. Abhishek is an actor and, Shweta is an author and former model. His daughter-in-law is the former Miss World and actress Aishwariya Rai Bachchan.
Amitabh Bachchan – Career
- Debut - Amitabh debuted in the industry as a voice artist in 1969. His first role as an actor was for the film Saat Hindustani. His next film Anand, in 1971, was a hit and, he also won the Filmfare award for best supporting actor. But informally, most of his films in the early days were mediocre and, he wasn’t considered a great actor.
- Breakthrough - Amitabh got soon considered a failed newcomer with twelve flop films in his lists and only two hits. But soon, he starred in a blockbuster hit film, Zanjeer, 1973. That movie has him the title of ‘Angry Young Man’ and, since then, there was no looking back for this man. After that, he did various superhit films such as Kaala Patthar, Shakti, Deewar, Abimaan etc. He soon became one of the top actors of the industry who got also known for his height and handsomeness.
- Stardom - Bachchan’s superstardom came after the release of Sholay. That film is still one of the most iconic movies of Bollywood and, it was also the highest-grossing movie at that time. He then gave back-to-back hit movies such as Amar Akbar Anthony, Don, Suhhag, Muqqadar ka Sikander, Coolie, Trishul, Ganga ki Saugandh, Kaala Patthar. All of these films are highly critically acclaimed films and also massive box office hits.
- Television Appearance - Amitabh has been a consistent host of the ‘Kaun Banega Crorepati’ since 2000. This show receives one of the highest TRPs and, it is a massive success every year. Amitabh has hosted almost 12 seasons. He has also hosted the 3rd season of the reality show Big Boss.
- Recent Works - He is still doing movies every year and giving some of his best performances ever. His performance in films like Paa, Gulaabo Sitaabo, Mohabbatein, Pink, Badla, Piku, etc., is iconic and, he won several awards for these. Some of his upcoming movies are Brahmastra, Jhund, and Chehre.
Amitabh Bachchan - Awards and Achievements
Amitabh Bachchan has won over 250 awards in his entire career. Some of the awards won by him are as follows:
- National Awards :
- Padma Shri, 1984
- Padma Bhushan, 2001
- Padma Vibhushan, 2015
- DadasahebPhalke Award, 2019
- National Film Award for Best Actor - Agneepath, 1990
- National Film Award for Best Actor - Black, 2005
- National Film Award for Best Actor - Paa, 2009
- National Film Award for Best Actor - Piku, 2015
- International Awards :
- World Economic Forum Crystal Award, 2009
- Asian Film Award - Lifetime Achievement Award, 2010
- Hong Kong International Film Festival - Lifetime Achievement Award, 2010
- Dubai International Film Festival - Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009
- British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) - Honorary Lifetime Member of BAFTA, 2007
- Marrakech International Film Festival - Medal of Honor of Morocco, 2003
- Tehran Film Festival - Lifetime Achievement Award, 2009
- Miscellaneous Awards :
- FICCI Frames 2010 Excellence Award - best Actor, Paa, 2010
- Asianet Film Awards - Lifetime Achievement Awards, 2010
- NASSCOM Global Leadership Award, 2013
- Yash Chopra Memorial Award, 2014
- NDTV Indian of the Year Award - Lifetime Achievement Award, 2016
- TOIFA Award - Best Actor, Piku, 2016
- TOIFA Award - Lifetime Achievement Award, 2016
- GQ Awards, 2016
- FPFAC Achiever Award, 2003
Amitabh Bachchan - Books
There are several books written on Amitabh’s life. He also has an autobiography, Soul Curry for You and Me - An Empowering Philosophy That Can Enrich Your Life, in 2002. Some of the biographies on him are:
- Amitabh Bachchan: The Legend, 1999
- AB: The Legend, 2002
- Amitabh: The Making of a Superstar, 2006
- To be or not to be: Amitabh Bachchan, 2006
- Looking for the Big B: Bollywood, Bachchan and Me, 2007
T 3878 - The auspicious beginning of a new togetherness, a bond nurtured by trust, love & honoured through traditions .. Bringing together this auspicious moment is Muharat - a wedding jewellery collection that cherishes & celebrates the Indian bride ..#MuhuratBridalJewellery pic.twitter.com/7AmKlSwmNE— Amitabh Bachchan (@SrBachchan) April 17, 2021
Amitabh Bachchan - Brand Endorsements
Amitabh Bachchan is one of the highest preferred actors by all the brands. He currently endorses more than 20 brands and charges around 5-8 crores for each ad commercial. Some of the brands advertised by him are:
- TATA Sky
- First Cry
- Parker Pen
Amitabh Bachchan - Fans and Followings
Amitabh is just like a fine wine that only gets better with age. This man is responsible for changing the face of Hindi cinema. People adore him and love him for his outstanding performances and his humble nature. He also tries to connect with his fans as much as he can through various social media apps.
He has around 27 million followers on Instagram and more than 45 million followers on Twitter. He is pretty active in both of these places.
Amitabh Bachchan - First Mega Star of the Bollywood
Amitabh Bachchan is the first and biggest superstar of the century. To date, there is no other actor who has as much social presence as him. There is a lot to learn from his journey as an actor and as a human being. He is that star who will never fade and, people will talk about