Jaya Bachchan is a well-known Indian actress & a member of the Upper House of the Parliament (Rajya Sabha) from the Samajwadi Party. Jaya has worked in more than 60 films and is also the recipient of nine Filmfare Awards. She is married to the veteran actor Amitabh Bachchan & after her marriage and the birth of her children, Jaya restricted working in films. She is undoubtedly a phenomenal actress and, her films garnered her high critical acclaim.
Jaya Bachchan - Statistics
- Full Name - Jaya Bachchan
- Date of Birth - 9 April 1948 (7 years)
- Place of Birth - Jabalpur, Madhya Pradesh, India
- Political Party - Samajwadi Party
- Residence - Jalsa Bungalow, Juhu, Maharashtra, India
- Marital Status - Married
- Spouse - Amitabh Bachchan
- Children – Shweta Bachchan Nanda, Abhishek Bachchan
- Daughter-in-law – Aishwariya Rai
Jaya Bachchan - Early Life
Jaya is the daughter of Indira and Tarun Kumar Bhaduri. Her father was a known journalist, poet, and writer and, her mother was a housemaker. Jaya was a bright child from the beginning, and she attended a missionary school in Bhopal. She completed her graduation from the University of Calcutta and studied acting at the Film and Television Institute of India.
Jaya Bachchan - Family and Personal Life
Jaya got married to Amitabh in 1973. The couple has two children, Abhishek Bachchan and Shweta Nanda Bachchan & her son is also a renowned Hindi film actor, and her daughter is a businesswoman. Jaya's daughter-in-law is the former Miss World, Aishwariya Rai Bachchan.
Jaya Bachchan - Film Career
- Debut - Jaya made her debut in 1963 from a Satyajit Ray film at the age of 15. She first starred in a Bengali film, Mahanagar, opposite Anil Chatterjee and Madhabi Mukherjee. She acted in two more Bengali films. After that, she graduated with a gold medal from the Film and Television Institute of India.
- Breakthrough - Her breakthrough was from Hrishikesh Mukherjee's film Guddi. She got cast opposite Dharmendra and, the movie was a super hit at the box office. She also performed various glamourous and girl-next-door kinds of roles in many films. Her role in the films like Jawani Diwani, Anamika, Piya Ka Ghar, Bawarchi, etc., made her a star of Bollywood.
- Success - Jaya's role as a young widow in the movie Sholay received a lot of applause. Sholay was the biggest hit of the century and, she got cast opposite Amitabh. Her first film with Amitabh was Zanjeer and, that movie was a commercial hit. They acted in various films like Abhimaan, Mili, ChupkeChupke, etc., and all of them were superhits. She got pregnant while shooting for Sholay and then, she decided to take a break from the films.
- Comeback - Jaya took a long break from the film industry to focus on raising her kids. She made a comeback after 18 years and acted in the film Hazaar Chaurasi Ki Maa. She also starred in films like Fiza, Kal Ho Na Ho, and Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gum and received much applause for both of them. She also starred in Laaga Chunari Me Daag and Drona, with her son Abhishek Bachchan.
Jaya Bachchan - Political Career
Jaya started her political career in 2004 as a member of the Samajwadi Party & was elected as a member of the Upper House of Parliament, representing Uttar Pradesh. She has been nominated as a member of the Rajya Sabha as many as four times. She also campaigned in the 2021 West Bengal Legislative Assembly Election for All India Trinamool Congress. She also raised her voice for the Nirbhaya Rape Case in the Rajya Sabha.
Jaya Bachchan - Awards and Achievements
- National Award
- Padma Shri Award - 1992
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Abhimaan, 1974
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Kora Kagaz, 1975
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress - Nauker, 1980
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Hazaar Churasi Ki Maa, 1998
- International Indian Film Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress - Fiza, 2001
- International Indian Film Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress – Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gum, 2002
- International Indian Film Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress - Kal Ho Naa Ho, 2004
- Miscellaneous Awards
- Special Editor's Award - Ananadlok Awards, 1999
- Best Actress in a supporting role for Fiza - Bengal Film Journalists Association Award, 2001
- Best Actress in Supporting role for Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gum – Sanusi Viewers Choice Awards, 2002
- Special Award (Hindi Film) for Guddi - Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards, 1972
- Best Parliamentarian Award - 2017
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Omega Award for Excellence, 1998
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Jaipur International Film Festival, 2012
- Master Deenanth Mangeshwar Award - 2013
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Sansui Award, 2004
- Lifetime Achievement Award - Tongue on Fire Film Festival award in London, 2010
- Yash Bharti Award - Uttar Pradesh's highest award from the govt. of Uttar Pradesh, 1994
Jaya Bachchan - Brand Endorsements
Jaya Bachchan does not do a lot of brand endorsements. But she has done a couple of advertisements with Amitabh Bachchan. Some of the brands endorsed by her are as follows:
- Kalyan Jewellers
Jaya Bachchan - Controversies
Jaya has been in a lot of controversies regarding the affair of Amitabh Bachchan and Rekha. However, both of them never confessed their relationship. But this has always been a hot topic of Bollywood. There have been a lot of controversies about them not liking each other. She also changed her seat in the Rajya Sabha after Rekha got elected.
Jaya Bachchan - Queen of Bollywood
Jaya's life and her career graph have been nothing but an inspiration for all of us. She is a wonderful actress and, her work is a school of learning for all the budding actors. She is the epitome of elegance and intelligence.