Hema Malini is a well-known actress in the Hindi Film Industry. She made her acting debut in 1963 and has been a part of many hit and critically approved movies. She got promoted as 'Dream Girl of Bollywood’ & was one of the most successful and highest-paid actresses of her time. She is also very active in politics and has also been a member of the Upper House of Parliament (Rajya Sabha). She is a representative of the Bhartiya Janta party (BJP) and, contested for a Lok Sabha's seat in 2014.
Hema Malini – Statistics
- Full Name - Hema Malini
- Date of Birth - 16th October 1948 (72 years)
- Place of Birth - Ammankudi, Tamil Nadu
- Profession - Actress, Politician, Dancer, Producer, Director
- Marital Status - Married
Hema Malini - Early Life
Hema was born in a Tamil Brahmin family to VSR Chakravarti Iyengar and Jaya Lakshmi. She studied in DTEA Mandir Marg till 11th standard and then went on to pursue her career in acting. She also continued with her dancing career side by side with her studies. Malini is a trained Bharatanatyam dancer and also studied Kuchipudi and Mohiniattam.
Hema Malini - Family and Personal Life
Hema met Dharmendra on the set of Tum Haseen Mai Jawaan in 1970 and, got married in 1980. Dharmendra was already married at the time and, also had four children. He converted to Islam to marry Malini and, the couple has two daughters Esha Deol and Ahana Deol. Her set children are Sunny Deol and Bobby Deol, who are also well-known Bollywood actors.
Hema Malini – Career
- Debut - Malini made her debut in 1963 in a Tamil film Idhu Sathiyam. She also acted in a couple of movies after that in a small role. Her debut in the Hindi film industry was opposite Raj Kapoor in 1968. Hema's first film was Sapno Ka Saudagar and, it was a super hit on the box office.
- Career Rise - Hema's lead role in movies like Johnny Mera Naam, Andaz, Lal Patthar, etc., established her in the film industry. She is a versatile actress and, played a double role in the film Seeta Aur Geeta in 1972. The movie was a blockbuster and, she also received a Filmfare Award for the Best Actress. She continued starring in various hit films such as Pratigya, Trishul, Dharmatama, Sanyasi, Jugnu, Azad, etc.
- Superstar - By 1980, Hema was already a renowned actress in Bollywood. Sholay was the biggest movie of her career and, that was the blockbuster of the century. Her role as Basanti received much appreciation from the audience and critics. Hema acted in many women-centric films like Durga, Ram Kali, Sitapur Ki Geeta, Aandhi Toofan, etc., which proved her strength as a female lead actress. She also did many big-budget films such as Naseeb, Rajput, Kranti, Satte Pe Satta, etc.
- Present - Malini took a long break from the industry and made a comeback, with Baghban opposite Amitabh Bachchan. She then acted in various films like the blockbuster hit movie Veer Zaara in 2004, Laga Chunari Me Daag in 2007, and Sadiyaan in 2010. She recently performed in Shimla Mirchi, opposite Rakul Preet Singh and Rajkumar Rao.
Hema Malini - Political Career
Malini has been active in politics since 1999. She also campaigned for Vinod Khanna who, contested as a Bhartiya Janta Party candidate. She officially joined the party in 2004 & got nominated by President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam to serve as the MP from 2003-2009. She contested in the 2014 General Elections for the Lok Sabha seat & defeated the Mathura occupant Jayant Chaudhary.
Hema Malini - Social Cause
Malini works very closely for the welfare of animals’ protection. She is a supporter of PETA, which works for animal rights & wrote to the Ministry of Environment and Forests, urging them to ban Jalli kattu (bull fighting). Hema practices vegetarianism and, was also named the PETA Person of the Year in 2011. Further, she wrote a letter to the Municipal Corporation of Mumbai to ban horses from the busy streets.
Hema Malini - Awards and Achievements
- Malini got conferred with many honorary awards in her lifetime. Some of her awards and achievements are:
- Padma Shri Award, 2000
- Filmfare Award for Best Actress – Seeta Aur Geeta, 1973
- Filmfare Award for Lifetime Achievement - 1999
- Star Screen Award for Jodi No.1 - Baghban, 2003
- Zee Cine Awards for Lifetime Achievement - 2003
- Other Awards and Honors
- Honorary Doctorate - Sri Padampat Singhania University, 2012
- Living Legend Award - FICCI (Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry), 2004
- Rashtra Bhusan Award - FIE Foundation Ichal Karanji, 2007
- PETA's Person of the Year - 2011
- ANR National Award - 2011
- Rajnikanth Legend Award - 2010
- Lifetime Achievement Award - - 7th Pune International Film Festival (PIFF)
- Iconic Beauty Over the Decades Award - Lux Golden Rose Awards, 2018
- SaMaPaVitasta Award - SAMAPA (Sopori Academy of Music and Performing Arts), 2006
Hema Malini - Books
Hema Malini has never written an autobiography of herself. But she has a lot of Biographies on her life and journey in the film industry. Some of the Biographies written on her are as follows:
- Hema Malini: Diva Unveiled
- Hema Malini: Beyond the Dream Girl
- Hema Malini: The Authorized Biography
यादें कितनी सुनहरी होती हैं। चेहरे पर मुस्कान लाती हैं। कभी कभी आंसू भी। #Raaggiri शुक्रगुज़ार है @DDNational का जिसने तमाम ऐसी यादों को सहेज कर रखा। आज यादों के इसी ख़ज़ाने से @dreamgirlhema के साथ #मोहम्मदरफी #नौशाद के रंग। मधुबन में राधिका नाचे रे @PrakashJavdekar @MIB_India pic.twitter.com/UckUIzjk25— Raaggiri Trust (FCRA & U/S 12 A 80 G Registered) (@Raaggiri) October 13, 2020
Hema Malini - Brands Endorsements
Hema Malini has also featured in many TVCs. She is the brand ambassador of many companies and, due to her popularity; companies prefer signing her for the advertisements.
- Kent RO Systems
- Zaitoon Tara Olive Oil
- Mast Masala
- Tel Rahat Rooh
- Johnson Paint
Hema Malini - Fans and Followings
Malini is pretty active on her social media accounts. As a political candidate, she also tries to stay updated with every current happening in the country. She has around 1.1 million followers on Twitter and more than 400 thousand followers on Instagram.
Hema Malini - The Dream Girl
Hema Malini's career is nothing but an inspiration for all of us. She is a living legend who has worked in the film industry for more than 40 years now. This woman is the epitome of elegance & proved that with consistent hard work and dedication, you could achieve anything.