Pratibha Patil is the first and only woman who held the office of the President of India. She was the 12th President of India and served from 2007 to 2012. She previously held the position of the Governor of Rajasthan and, she belongs to the Indian National Congress Party. Pratibha Patil is one of the few women who made a significant place in politics. People respect her for her intelligence and her zest to serve the country.
Pratibha Singh Patil – Statistics
- Full Name – Pratibha Devisingh Patil
- Date of Birth - 19 December 1934 (86 years)
- Place of Birth - Nadgaon, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
- Presidency - 12th President of India
- Precedent - A.P.J. Abdul Kalam
- Successor - Pranab Mukherjee
- Governor - 17th Governor of Rajasthan
- Political Party - Indian National Congress
- Marital Status - Married
- Spouse – Devisingh Ransingh Shekhawat
- Website - www.pratibhapatil.info
Pratibha Singh Patil - Early Life
Pratibha Patil was born in the Nadgoan village of Maharashtra to Narayan Rao Patil. She completed her primary education from R.R. Vidyalaya, Jalgaon. Patil completed her master's degree in Political Science and Economics from Mooljee Jetha College. Patil has always been a brilliant child and, her interest in law and politics made her continue her studies and have a Bachelor of Law Degree. She completed her LLB from Government Law College, Mumbai. She has also practiced in the Jalgaon District Court for several years and got interested in various social issues such as problems faced by women.
Pratibha Singh Patil - Family and Personal Life
Pratibha married Devisingh Ransingh Shekhawat in 1965. He is a well-known agriculturist and politician of India & has also served as the first gentleman of India because of being husband of the first woman President of India. The couple has two kids, one daughter, and one son. Her son, Raosaheb Sekhwat, is also a politician and a former MLA (Member of Legislative Assembly) of Maharashtra.
Pratibha Singh Patil - Political Career Timeline
- Patil got elected as the MLA for the Jalgaon district when she was just 27 years old.
- She became a member of the Upper House of the Parliament (Rajya Sabha) in 1985.
- Patil also represented the Amravati constituency for the 10th Lok Sabha elections in 1991.
- She has held various positions in the Maharashtra Legislative Assembly, Rajya Sabha, and Lok Sabha.
- Patil also held the position as a member of the Governing Council of the National Co-operative Union of India and as a Director of the National Federation of Urban Co-operative Banks and Credit societies.
- She is also the first woman to hold the position of the Governor of Rajasthan in 2004.
- Patil was the 17th Governor of that state.
Pratibha Singh Patil – Accusations & Controversies
Pratibha's loyalty to the Nehru-Gandhi family and INC played a significant role in her selection for the President's position. She won the election in 2007 by receiving two-third votes. She faced several accusations & controversies during this time, including:
- Murder Case: During the time of her election, she got accused of protecting her brother in a murder case. But in 2009, all the accusations were dismissed by the court.
- Biased Selection: People also opposed her selection claiming, that she lacks ability, charisma, and experience.
- Money Laundering: She also got accused of transferring 3.6 million from her MPLADS funds to a trust. But even these allegations were denied by the Parliamentary affairs minister, saying that the funds got utilized and were audited by the Comptroller and Auditor General of India.
- Spending Government Money: She also got noted for having more foreign trips and spending more money on it than any other President.
- Retirement Mansion: She got accused of building a retirement mansion worth crores in Pune. Patil retired from the President's post as the 1st woman President of India in 2012.
Pratibha Singh Patil - Positions Held
- 1967-72 - Deputy Minister of Public Health, Tourism, Prohibition, Housing & Parliamentary Affairs, Govt. of Maharashtra
- 1972-74 - Cabinet Minister of Social Welfare, Govt. of Maharashtra
- 1974-75 - Cabinet Minister of Public Health & Social Welfare, Govt. of Maharashtra
- 1975-76 - Cabinet Minister of Prohibition, Rehabilitation and Cultural Affairs, Govt. of Maharashtra
- 1977-78 - Cabinet Minister of Education, Govt. of Maharashtra
- 1979-1980 - Leader of the Opposition, MLA
- 1982-85 - Cabinet Minister of Urban Development and Housing, Govt. of Maharashtra
- 1983-85 - Cabinet Minister, Civil Supplies and Social Welfare, Govt. of Maharashtra
- 1986-88 - Deputy Chairman, Rajya Sabha
- 1986-88 - Chairman of Committee of Privileges, Rajya Sabha
- 1986-88 - Member of Business Advisory Committee, Rajya Sabha
- 1991-1996 - Chairman of House Committee, Lok Sabha
- 2004-2007 - Governor of Rajasthan
- 2007-2012 - President of India
Pratibha Singh Patil - Business
Pratibha Singh set up an educational institute by the name, Vidya Bharati Shikshan Prasarak Mandal. It runs a chain of colleges and schools in Mumbai and Pune. She also founded a cooperative bank in 2002 by the name Pratibha Mahila Sahakari Bank. The bank's license got canceled in 2003 by the Reserve Bank of India due to some illegal loans.
Pratibha Singh Patil - Social Works
Patil set up a Shram Sadhana Trust that runs hostels for working women in Pune, Delhi, and Mumbai. She also opened an engineering college for village people in Jalgaon. Pratibha believes in helping unprivileged people in every possible way.
Pratibha Singh Patil - Awards and Achievements
- Order of Aztec Eagle - From ambassador of Mexico, 2019 (Mexico's highest Civilian Award)
Pratibha Singh Patil – Political Inspiration to Women
Pratibha Singh is the biggest inspiration for all the women in India. She has been in politics for more than three decades and sat at the highest position in the country. She has played a vital role in the upliftment of women's rights. Patil is the epitome of hard work and dedication and, we all should learn from her journey.