Jhulan Goswami is one of the best players in the Indian Women Cricket team, and she was the first sportsperson in her family and; her grandmother supported her a lot at the initial stages. She has been in the game for more than two decades now and, this woman is just unstoppable. Jhulan's career is full of struggle but, her dedication made her one of the best cricket in the world. We will read the untapped story of his struggles in this write-up and understand her life.
Jhulan Goswami – Statistics
- Full Name – Jhulan Nishit Goswami
- Nickname – Jhulan Didi, Babul
- Date of Birth - 25 November 1982 (38 years)
- Place of Birth - Chakdaha, West Bengal, India
- Height - 5ft 11 in
- Role - All-rounder
- Bowling - Right-arm medium-fast
- Batting - Right-hand
- No. of Tests played - 11
- No. of ODIs played - 188
- No. of T20I played - 68
- Marital Status - Unmarried
Jhulan Goswami – Early Life
Jhulan was born in a typical medical class family in Chakdaha, West Bengal, to Jharna and Nishit. She started playing cricket when she was 15 years old and was mesmerized by Australia's world cup win in the Eden Garden. She made up her mind to pursue cricket after this.
Her parents didn't find this a good idea and were unsupportive about this. But her grandmother always supported her as she was a progressive lady.
Jhulan traveled to Kolkata every day for her cricket practice. It took her five hours traveling, but she did it anyway. Her inspiration was Belina Clark (Australian Batter), and she loved to watch her play.
Jhulan Goswami – Cricket Career
- Early Career - Jhulan started her cricket coaching in Kolkata, West Bengal. She received a lot of appreciation from her coach for her unique bowling style. She played various matches at the district as well as at State and National levels. She made her debut in the Bengal team at the age of 19. After giving some promising performances in the matches, she got a chance to represent the Indian team.
- International Cricket - Goswami made her international ODI debut in 2002 against England in Chennai. Her debut proved to be a kick start for her career. She picked some of the main batswomen and, this fixed a place for her in the World Cup squad. Her test debut was also in 2002, right after her ODI debut. She picked four wickets in her second test match against South Africa. Jhulan has picked 41 wickets in Test matches with an average of 17 and 235 wickets in ODI with a bowling average of 21.
- World Cup - Goswami's debut at the Women's World Cup was pretty good. She ended up picking 13 wickets in 8 games. Jhulan also had two four-wicket hauls against the West Indies and England. Her other two World Cups in 2009 and 2013 were not so good and, India lost the Cup. In the 2017 World Cup, India went to the finals and lost a very close match against the English. Jhulan played a significant role in the entire series and, she picked three wickets in the finale.
- Captaincy and Fastest Bowler - Jhulan had also been the fastest bowler in the world in 2006. She bowled with a speed of 120km/hr. Goswami also captained the Indian Women's cricket team from 2008 to 2011. Under her captaincy, India won 12 ODI matches out of 25. She was also the fourth woman to have 100 ODI wickets and the first woman to have 200 ODI wickets. Jhulan topped the ODI ranking list of best bowlers in 2016.
Jhulan Goswami – Coach Career
Jhulan is also working as a coach. She got appointed as a bowling consultant for the Women's National Cricket Team. She was working under the head coach Ramesh Powar and is currently playing as a player-coach for the Indian Women Cricket Team.
Jhulan Goswami – Awards and Achievements
Jhulan is the recipient of various awards and honors. Some of the awards won by her are as follows:
- Padma Shri - By Government of India, 2012
- Arjuna Award - By Government of India, 2010
- Nominated as ICC Women Cricketer of the Decade - By ICC, 2020
- Fastest Bowler
- Leading International Wicket Taker
- ICC Women's Cricketer of the Year - By ICC, 2007
- Captain of the Indian Women's Cricket Team
Jhulan Goswami - Fans and Following
Jhulan is a famous personality in the cricket fraternity. All the young women look up to her and take inspiration. Jhulan is also on various social media apps. She posts mainly about her cricket practices, matches, fitness training, match training, and personal life. She has more than 110 thousand followers on Instagram and around 50 thousand followers on Twitter.
Note: Goswami's biopic is also on the talks by the title Chakdaha Express. Sushanta Das will direct the film and, it will depict the whole cricket journey from the beginning.
Jhulan Goswami – Lesser Known Facts
- She was a ball-girl in the 1997 World Cup match.
- Her bowling average is below 22 in Test, ODI, and T20I.
- She received the ICC Women Cricketer of the year award from MS Dhoni.
- She guided the first test series win of the Indian team in England.
- She is so passionate about cricket that she even refused to marry anyone.
- Her only dream is to win a World Cup for the Indian Women Cricket team.
Jhulan Goswami – The Awesome Bowler
Jhulan is one of the first women in the Indian cricket team who has made a significant mark in the International Cricket fraternity. She is an inspiration for every budding sportsperson in the country. This woman is a fighter and, she is the epitome of hard work and dedication. This woman has made this whole country proud of herself and, now every individual knows her in the entire world.