Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel (commonly known as Pankaj Patel) is an Indian billionaire entrepreneur business. He is the chairman of Cadila Healthcare, the fifth-largest pharmaceutical company of India founded by his father, Ramanbhai Patel, in 1952. His company is primarily engaged in manufacturing generic drugs, and its headquarters is in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India. So, let us dive into this article to read the success story of this fantastic entrepreneur.
Note - Patel is also one of the richest men in India, having a total wealth of $5.1 billion, according to Forbes India Magazine, 2021.
Pankaj Patel Bio – Key Highlights
- Full Name – Pankaj Ramanbhai Patel
- Date of Birth – 16 March 1953 (age 68 years)
- Place of Birth – Bhadran, Gujarat, India
- Nationality – India
- Education – Bachelor of Pharmacy, Bachelors of Arts (Science and Law), Masters of Pharmacy
- Alma Mater – Gujarat University, University of Mumbai
- Profession – Entrepreneur, Businessman
- Designation – Chairman of Cadila Healthcare, President FICCI, Chairman Zydus
- Marital Status – Married
- Spouse – Priti Patel
- Children – 2
Pankaj Patel Biography - Early Life and Education
Pankaj Patel was born in a Gujarati family in Bhadran, Gujarat, India. Patel completed a Bachelor of Arts in Science and Law from the University of Mumbai. Patel also holds a Bachelor of Pharmacy and a Master of Pharmacy from Gujarat University.
Pankaj Patel - Personal Life
Pankaj Patel married Priti Patel, and the couple has two children. Priti is the daughter of Dr. B D Patel. Pankaj's son, Dr. Sharvil Patel, is the MD of Cadila Healthcare Ltd., and he is married to Meha. Their daughter Shivani is married to Pranav D Patel, son of Dushyant D Patel.
Pankaj Patel also owns a Challenger-604 jet along with Dinesh Patel, chairman of Sintex Industries.
Pankaj Patel Story – Career Timeline
- Cadila Healthcare – After finishing his education, Pankaj joined his father's company and served for several years. After that, he got appointed as the chairman of the organization and took several decisions to benefit the company. Patel also got named the 'Best Pharma Man of the Year' in 2003 for his remarkable contribution to this industry.
- FICCI Chairman – Patel became the president of FICCI (Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry) in 2017. It is India's oldest, largest, non-government, not-for-profit, and apex business organization. He is also a chairman and member of various educational institutes and societies in India.
- Zydus Hospitals – Patel is also the chairman of Zydus Hospitals. It is the largest hospitals chain in Gujarat, with super multispecialty 550-beds.
Pankaj Patel – Memberships & Chairman
Patel is also a member of various prestigious societies. Some of them are as follows:
- Indian Pharmaceutical Alliance
- Basic Chemicals
- Indian Drugs Manufacturers Association
- Gujarat Chambers of Commerce and Industry
- Pharmaceuticals and Cosmetics Export Promotion Council
- Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Kolkata
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bhubaneshwar
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur
- Ahmedabad University, Ahmedabad
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- Gujarat Cancer Society & Gujarat Cancer and Research Institute
Pankaj Patel – Philanthropy
Patel is a well-known philanthropist in India. He believes that philanthropic work is more than just donating in monetary terms. It is also about non-monetary aspects like giving your time, ideas, volunteering, etc.
Pankaj doesn't like to share his donations, and hence most of them are undisclosed.
Pankaj Patel - Awards and Achievements
Pankaj has won several awards and achievements for his outstanding contribution to the Indian Pharma Industry. Some of them are as follows:
- Pharma Man of the Year – By Federation of Indian Industry and Economists, 2004
- First Pharma 40 List of the World's Most Influential People (Healthcare) – By World Pharmaceutical Frontiers
Pankaj Patel - The Pharma Man of India
Pankaj Patel is one of the most talented businessmen in India who fulfilled his father's dream, and his life journey is the epitome of hard work and honesty. Under his leadership, Cadila Healthcare became one of the top-rated pharmaceutical companies in India. He is an inspiration for all those who want to become billionaire businesses person in the future and lead a billion-dollar company.