Get lost in the tranquility and charm of the place surrounded by mountains and the cascades of falling water. Fill your nostrils with the aroma of coffee and bless your eyes with the pristine views of mountains and streams as soon as you open your eyes. The place is a heaven on earth and is without a doubt the most scenic place you have ever visited.
The best part about this place is that you will never get enough of this place. Also known as the Scotland of India, this small hill station is very famous for the coffee that it produces. This is an ideal place for you no matter what interests you. You will find everything here, adventure, peace, spirituality, food.
Get away from the daily bustle of life and find your inner peace amongst the beautiful water falling from the hilltops. The mountains that surround the place will make you feel the tranquil vibes in the ambiance.Top Must Visit Attractions in Coorg
Coorg is known for many attractions that you should never miss if you visit this place:
- Abbey Falls: Falling from about 70 feet above sea level, the Abbey Falls are situated amongst the famous coffee plantations. It is a beautiful place to visit with your family and friends.
- Honnamana Kere Lake: Being the biggest lake in the Kodagu district, Honnamana Kere Lake is a beautiful and peaceful place to visit.
- Raja’s Seat: Developed in the 1820s, Raja's seat is the tomb of Gaddige raja. This place is known for its mesmerizing view of the sunset.
- Madikeri Fort: Built by Muddu Raja in the 17th century, the fort gives that historical vibe that brings out your interest as a history lover.
- Kopatty Hills: Filled with landscapes, thick forests, and coffee plantations, Kopatty Hills is a very famous range of hills to go on a trek. With a smear amount of camping sites, you can enjoy a nice and warm bonfire.
- Honey Valley: Also known as Nilakandi falls, Honey valley is a very happening place to visit. You can trek to the valley and feel the world turning into heaven.
Not only tourist destinations, but Coorg is also famous for much adventurous stuff you can do here. The best things to do in Coorg are:5 Best Things to Do in Coorg
- Camping: Coorg is filled with mesmerizing camping sites where you can spend your nights, dancing and singing around the bonfire or just peacefully watching the moon and the stars. You have many options for camping in Coorg to choose from.
- Trekking: Trekking is another wonderful experience provided to you in Coorg. You can go trekking in the foothills of Kotebetta, Kabbe, and Brahmagiri. Watching the pristine views with your eyes from above is something unimaginably beautiful.
- Rafting: White water river rafting is something that you can do as many times as you have a chance to do. Barapole River provides you with the best river rafting you would ever have done in your life. And if you visit the river in the monsoon then you will have the best adventure of your whole life in just 2 hours.
- Jeep Safari: Another wonderful experience includes a jeep safari to Mandalpatti. The ride is extremely mesmerizing and lets you have a view of lovely coffee plantations and cascading waterfalls.
- Bird watching: Pushpagiri Wildlife Sanctuary is a very famous wildlife sanctuary in Karnataka which provides you with a picture-perfect view of hundreds of birds of rare and endangered species.
- Coorg is a rural district located at a distance of 260 km from Bangalore in Karnataka, India. It is a big producer of coffee. The best time to visit this district is generally between October & March. The temperature of the place is constant throughout the year.
- The place is extremely safe for women and solo travelers. It is a very welcoming place for women but you should be a bit cautious when traveling at night or camping. Coorg is a perfect place for a weekend getaway for the people living near Bangalore or near cities. The place is very hospitable for honeymoon couples and is a perfect destination to spend your romantic holidays at.
- Coorg has got several places where you can trek. The places available for trekking are Kotebetta, Kabbe Hills, Brahma Giri Hills, Kopatty Hills, and Kakkabe.
- The place has some amazing waterfalls too which include Iruppu Falls, Mallali Falls, Deverkolli Falls, Burude Falls, Nandapole Falls, etc.
- Coorg has a lot of resorts that allow their guests to relax and have fun after a long day of traveling and exploring the city. It also provides recreational activities and spas. Camping is a very exciting activity that you can do while exploring Coorg. There are many sites where you can camp and enjoy yourself with your pals like Gonikoppa, Nangala Village, Virajpet, Kushalnagar, Madikeri, Betigeri Post.
- Smoking and drinking are allowed to people above the age of 18 yrs.
- Plastic is strictly prohibited in the area so please do not carry any with you. Keep enough cash with you so that you don't run out of it if you are unable to find an ATM.
The best and only way to reach Coorg is via road. Coorg does not have any railway station or airport. The nearest airport is Mangalore and the nearest railway station is Mysore. A cab can be booked from these places to reach Coorg. You can plan a complete road trip to Coorg. While on your way you will find a beautiful line of trees and mountains.Q2. Best time to visit Coorg?
You can plan a visit to Coorg all year round. The climate is so pleasant every year that it can never be unwelcoming. The temperature of the place is generally 15-20 degrees celsius. The best time to visit the place is from October to March. March to May is best for people who are into summers and like the weather a bit hot.Q3. What should I carry while I am planning to visit Coorg?
To have a better trip you need to carry everything that you need. In times of emergency, we should be pre-prepared. So things you need to carry to your trip to Coorg for a better experience are:
- First aid box
- A torch
- A water bottle
- Packed food/Snacks
- Trekking/walking shoes
- Comfortable clothing
- A warm blanket for camping night
Yes, Coorg is an extremely safe place for women and solo travelers. It is very welcoming and respectful for women. Solo travelers will for sure find themselves engaging with one of the traveling groups as people are so friendly here. But be cautious at night during camping and trekking alone.Q5. Is Coorg worth spending your romantic honeymoon at?
Coorg is a very romantic place to go with your partner. You will love spending your time with your love amidst the beautiful mountains and cascading waterfalls. Holding hands and going for a walk in the valleys will never get old. You will fall in love with your partner again while you look at them with the beautiful background.Q6. What are some options for homestays in Coorg?
To experience the traditional vibes of the beautiful city of Coorg, you should probably find a homestay to spend the night. The ambiance of these homestays is as beautiful as the place. You can relax and have a good night's sleep while enjoying the wonderful view.Q7. Which restaurants are a must to visit while you are in Coorg?
The cuisines of Coorg are something you should never miss. Not only eating the cuisines but eating them like locals is what adds taste to it. The food tastes spicy that you will never forget and will never want to stop eating. Coorg cuisines, Taste of Coorg, Udipti the veg, Fish curry rice, etc are some restaurants that you should try and never miss.Q8. What is an ideal duration for a holiday in Coorg?
Coorg is an ideal place to visit during weekends. In two days you will be able to satisfy yourself and enjoy the adventures of the city. You can for sure increase your trio according to your personal choices. Your budget is the main factor deciding your stay. Always check for online packages providing for trips in affordable ranges.Q9. Is it safe to travel to Coorg?
Yes, Coorg is one of the safest places you will visit in India. The locals of Coorg are so coming and kind-hearted that you will feel very safe there & you will feel at home. There are places to stay that are extremely safe. Coorg is a place safe for women and children and is safe to travel.Q10. What if we come across any medical emergencies in Coorg?
Hospitals with experienced doctors are provided in Coorg. The hospitals are well equipped and will help you in emergencies too. The hospitals that you can reach are Vivus hospital and Shri Raja Rajeshwari.