Shimla, the capital city of Himachal Pradesh, is one of the most attractive places in India. Its beauty, lush greenery, and cool weather have bagged it the title of 'the Queen of hills'. Shimla city that has got its name from Hindu Goddess Shyama Devi, provides you with an amazing opportunity to explore the picturesque beauty and experience various activities. So let's don't wait more and jump directly to the list of top 10 places in Shimla that you must visit in your life.Top 10 places in Shimla that are worth-exploring
- The Kalka-Shimla toy train ride: one of the best things to do in Shimla is to enjoy the Kalka-Shimla toy train ride. This old rail passes along the mountains and gives you an amazing opportunity to feel the calm beauty of the place. Moving like a snake, this toy train also passes from one of the most haunted places of India, i.e. the Barog tunnel (Tunnel no. 33). This tunnel is named after Colonel Barog, who committed suicide here due to his failure in completing this tunnel. It is rumoured that his ghost roams here. So aren't you fascinated to visit this place?
- Lakkar Bazaar: if you are a shopaholic and looking for the best shopping market, then this is the market you should not miss. Just make sure that you visit this place between 11 am to 9 pm. Lakkar Bazaar, or the wooden market, is known for its intricately carved wooden items and decoratives. This market offers you different woodwork gifts for your loved ones. You can also buy woollen clothes from this place at a reasonable price. The Famous Sitaram and sons eatery and the Auckland house school are also located in this market. All and all, this place will offer you the local vibes of being in Shimla.
- Open-air ice-skating rink: Skating is something that you can't afford to miss if you visit a hill station like Shimla, and what could be a better place than this to show off your skating skills. Open-air ice skating rink in Shimla, the oldest rink in India, lets you enjoy speed skating, ice hockey, and figure skating. The best part is the fee is very reasonable. You can even enjoy the ice skating carnival if you are visiting this place on Christmas.
- Tattapani: if you are looking for more adventure in Shimla, then rafting at Tattapani is something you must go for. It is located at a distance of just 50 Km from the main city of Shimla. This hot water spring attracts several thousand tourists every year because of its lush greenery and one of the finest rafting experiences. So if you want to refresh yourself, then you should not miss this place at all. The price per person for river rafting in Tattapani is Rs. 1500.
- Chadwick Waterfall: Waterfalls are intrinsic to this beautiful place. One of the most beautiful waterfalls in Shimla that deserves your time is Chadwick waterfall. It is located amidst the Glen forests, at a distance of 7 km from Shimla. The tranquillity, aesthetic beauty and crystal clear water will surely give you an out-of-the-world experience.
- Jakhu temple in the Jakhu hills: Jakhu hill is located at the height of 2455m and is the highest peak in Shimla. If you love trekking, then no other place can be better than this hill. Located on this hill is a beautiful Hanuman temple named Jakhu temple. If you walk to this temple, then make sure to protect your goods from the monkeys. The temple is open 24*7. The simplistic Himachali architecture, along with the spectacular view of the surrounding hills and mountains, is worth viewing. The devotees are attracted to Hanumanji's footprints and Hanuman Ji's statue that is enshrined in the sanctum. Besides this temple, there is also a park for children to play and for elders to relax.
- Annandale (Army heritage museum): Military and arms and ammunitions excite almost every one of us. So if you are also interested in viewing the various guns, uniforms, documents of the Indo- Pakistani war, 1971, and feel the patriotic sense in you, then make sure to include this place in your list of worth-visiting places. This place lets you feel the pride and bravery of the Indian Army, Navy, and airforce as it embodies all the armed forces-related things. Just make sure that you go to this place between 10 am to 5 pm and carry valid ID proof with you.
- Scandal Point: Sunset view from a mountainous region feels amazing. So if you also want to watch the beautiful sunset with a more enriching experience, Scandal point is an amazing place. It is a flat platform located on Ridge road. From this place, you can take pleasure in the mesmerizing mountains, lush greenery, and splendid sunrise and sunset. This point is open 24*7, and you don't need to pay any fee for this place.
- Paragliding at Kangra Valley: another adventurous activity that you should try in Shimla is paragliding. For enjoying the best Paragliding experience at Shimla, Kangra valley is the best place. Paragliding lets you adore the crystal blue skies of naturally beautiful Shimla. The natural landscapes that you can explore by diving into the sky are beyond description.
- Kuthar fort: Kuthar Fort is located at the State Highway 9 Kishangarh, Kuthar, Himachal Pradesh and is one of the best historical places in Shimla. This fort displays old treasures like guns, swords, war equipment, statues, pottery, etc. Spread over an area of 52.8 km square, this fort also has exotic pools and beautiful gardens. The fort is in a peaceful area, and the food is also amazing. The entry fee is just 10 Rs.
Shimla, the queen of hills, offers a lot of beautiful sites. In this article, I tried to bring to you the ten most amazing places in Shimla that are worth your time. Besides these places, you can also visit Kufri hills, Johnie wax's museum, Kiala forest, and much more. Now it's your turn to make sure that you don't miss out on these places when you make your trip to Shimla next time.