Kamala Devi Harris is the first female vice-president of India. She is also the first Asian American and first African American female to be the highest-ranking official in US history. Harris is a member of the Democratic Party and, she has also served as the attorney general of California and as a United States Senator. This woman has broken various barriers and has paved the path for all the youngsters. As a senator and an attorney general, she has worked on many critical issues and eradicated problems from their roots.
Kamala Harris – Statistics
- Full Name - Kamala Devi Harris
- Date of Birth - October 1964 (56 years)
- Place of Birth - Oakland, California, USA
- Profession - Lawyer, Politician, Author
- Education - Howard University, University of California, Hastings
- Political Party - Democratic
- Assumed Office - January 2021
- Marital Status - Married
- Spouse - Douglas Emhoff
- Net Worth - $400 million
Kamala Harris - Early Life
Kamala was born to Shyamala Gopalan and Donald J. Harris in California. Her mother is an Indian and who came to America to study nutrition and endocrinology. Harris's father is from British Jamaica and, he was an economics professor at Stanford University. As a child, her mother introduced her to Hinduism and, she often visited India with her family. Harris got influenced by her maternal grandfather PV Gopalan who is a Retd Indian civil servant. She also often visited her father's family in Jamaica. However, her parents divorced when she was just seven years old.
Kamala Harris - Education
Kamala changed her schools very often due to the shifting of her parents. She studied in Notre-Dame-des-Neiges FACE School, Westmount High School. Later Harris went to Howard University for her graduation in political science and economics in 1982. She then attended the Hastings College of Law at the University of California and graduated with a Juris Doctor in 1989.
Kamala Harris - Family and Personal Life
Kamala married her husband, Doug Emhoff in, August 2014. They both met each other through a mutual friend and later fell in love with each other. Doug is an entertainment lawyer and, he was previously married to KistenEmhoff. Harris is the step-mother of two children of Doug from her previous marriage. Her sister Maya is also a lawyer and a political analyst. Harris is a baptist and holds membership of the Third Baptist Church of San Francisco.
Kamala Harris – Career
- Early Career - Harris started her career as a District Attorney in California. She also became the chief of the Career Criminal Divison, where she prosecuted sexual assault, burglary, robbery, homicide, etc.
- District Attorney of San Francisco - In 2002, Kamala decided to contest for District Attorney. She was the least known contestant amongst all the three people but, Harris won the election with 56% of the vote. With her election as the District Attorney of San Francisco, Harris became the first person of color to sit in this position. She also ran for her second term in 2007. She took various crucial decisions regarding non-violent crimes, violent crimes, the death penalty, truancy initiative, etc.
- Attorney General of California - In 2010, Harris contested for the Attorney General of California and won the election with 33.6% of the vote. She got elected in 2014, winning 57.5% of the vote. Some of the crucial decisions she took are fraud, waste, abuse, sex crimes, privacy rights, law enforcement, Planned Parenthood, environmental protection, wrongful convictions, and prison overcrowding. She also took steps for the LGBTQ community and provided them security.
- The US Senate - Harris got endorsed by Barack Obama and Joe Biden in 2019. She worked from 2017 to 2021 in the senate and took various steps for the country. Harris had a stronghold on her office and started considering one of the most important contenders for the post of vice-president. Post her election as a vice-president in January 2021, Kamala resigned from her seat on the 18th of January 2021.
Kamala Harris - Vice Presidency
Following the victory in the US Presidential election in 2020, Kamala assumed office as the vice-president. She cast her first two tie-breaking votes, which were crucial in passing the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. She conducted her first international trip in June 2021, visiting Mexico and Guatemala.
Kamala Harris - Committee Assignments
Harris was a member of few committees while being in the senate. Some of them are listed below:
- Committee on the Budget
- Select Committee on Intelligence
- Committee on Homeland Security and Government Affairs
- Committee on Judiciary
Kamala Harris - Awards and Achievements
Harris has won various awards in her career. Some of the awards and achievements are as follows:
- Thurgood Marshall Award - By National Black Prosecutors Association Award, 2005
- 100 Most Influential People in the world - By Time, 2013
- Bipartisan Justice Award - By 20/20 Bipartisan Justice Centre, 2016
- Times Person of the Year with Joe Biden - By Times, 2020
- 20 of America's Most Powerful women - By Newsweek, 2005
Kamala Harris - Book
Kamala has also written three books. Two of them are non-fiction books and, one of them is a children's book. The books written by her are as follows:
- Smart on Crime: A Career Prosecutor's Plan to Make Us Safer -Published in 2009
- The Truths We Hold: An American Journey - Published in 2019
- Superheroes Are Everywhere - Published in 2019
My first-grade teacher, Mrs. Wilson, encouraged me when I was her student and years later cheered me on when I graduated from law school. This year and every year, we celebrate America's teachers, who make a lifelong impact on America's students. #NationalTeacherAppreciationDay pic.twitter.com/RH8jEvMdM9— Vice President Kamala Harris (@VP) May 4, 2021
Kamala Harris - Fans and Following
Being a political leader, it becomes her responsibility to stay connected with the people. She tries to communicate to the people through her various social media sites and posts regularly.
She has more than 16 million followers on Instagram and around 19 million followers on Twitter.
Kamala Harris – American Iron Lady
Kamala Harris is nothing but an inspiration for everyone. This woman made her path with her hard work and dedication and, now she is one of the most influential people in the world and an inspiration for millions of women. Harris is an iron lady and, this woman believes in uplifting society. As a politician, she is doing great in her field and, this is why people love and adore her.