Arijit Singh is an Indian Bollywood singer and songwriter born on April 25, 1987. He primarily performs in Hindi and Bengali, although he has also performed in other languages. He has won a National Award, along with the record six Film fare Awards, making him the most famous playback singer. He’s also regarded as the “King of Playback Singing” and is recognized for his soulful voice throughout the country.
Today, we will study the life of this legend and know some interesting facts about him.
Arijit Singh - In His Early Years
Born in Jiaganj, Murshidabad, West Bengal, on April 25, 1987, to Kakkar Singh, a Sikh father and a Bengali mother, and has a sister Amrita Singh. His mother, Aditi Singh, died of cerebral stroke in 2021. He did his schooling at Raja Bijay Singh High School, Murshidabad and college from Jiaganj’s Sripat Singh College. His maternal uncle was a Tabla player, and his mother sang and played the instrument as well.
He made his debut in singing from “Phir Mohabbat” from Murder (2011) and as a director in Bholabashar Rojnamcha (Bangla movie, 2015).
Arijit Singh – Education
- Formal Education : He took his formal education in Raja Bijay Singh High School, Murshidabad, but his musical education started in his home and later under the Hazari brothers.
- Classical Music Education : Traditional instruction began with the three Hazari brothers. Rajendra Prasad Hazari taught him classical music, Dhirendra Prasad Hazari taught him tabla, and Birendra Prasad Hazari taught him pop music. Arijit’s song Phir Mohabbat was a huge smash, and another hit, Tum Hi Ho, quickly followed it.
Arijit Singh – Career Timeline
- Fame Gurukul : Singh’s musical career began when his guru, Rajendra Prasad Hazari, persuaded him to leave his birthplace to compete in the reality program Fame Gurukul (2005) when he was 18 years old, believing that “Indian classical music was a fading heritage.”
- Saawariya : During the performance, filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali saw his skill and asked him to sing “Yun Shabnami,” a song from his upcoming film Saawariya.
- Music Studio : He also won another reality programme called 10 Ke 10 Le Gaye Dil. He used the prize money from 10 Ke 10 Le Gaye Dil to fund the construction of his music studio. He went on to work as a music producer, writing and singing songs for commercials, news networks, and radio stations.
- Music Producer : Singh worked as a music programmer and producer for music directors such as Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Vishal-Shekhar, Mithoon, Monty Sharma, and Pritam throughout his early musical career.
Arijit Singh – Facts About Arijit
- His hobbies are Cycling, Reading, Photography, Playing Badminton, Writing and making documentaries.
- He is married to Koel Roy Singh, his girlfriend after his first marriage broke with Ruprekha Banerjee and has one daughter and a son.
- His favorite musician is Gulam Ali, Jagjit Singh, Mehndi Hasan, Ustad Rahat Ali Khan, Ustad Amzad Ali Khan, KK and Michael Jackson.
- His favorite food is Maachar jhol and mishtri, aloo seddo, bhaat and aloo pasto.
Arijit Singh - His Achievements
- 2013 - He was nominated for the 2013 Mirchi Music Awards’ Upcoming Male Vocalist of the Year category for his versions of “Phir Le Aya Dil” and “Duaa.”
- 2014 - Four Mirchi Music Awards, six Filmfare Awards, a Stardust Award, three IIFA Awards, two Zee Cine Awards, and two Screen Awards. For the song “Tum Hi Ho” from the 2013 film Aashiqui 2, he got nine awards out of 10 nominations. In 2014, he was nominated for an IIFA award in the category of “Best Male Singer” for the song “Tum Hi Ho.” Singh received the Youth Icon – Music Award from the National Indian Students Union UK in September 2014.
- 2015 - He won the prize for Best Male Vocalist at the sixth Mirchi Music Awards in 2015 for his song “Samjhawan.”
- 2016 - He got Filmfare Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the song “Sooraj Dooba Hain” in 2016. The GiMA honoured him for his interpretation of the song “Soch Na Sake”, he was rewarded for the song “Gerua”, and the most-streamed song “, Sanam Re”. At the Stardust Awards 2016, he won Best Male Singer for the song “Channa Mereya.”
- 2017 - He received Best Male Playback Singer at the 62nd Filmfare Awards in 2017 for the title song “Ae Dil Hai Mushkil,” as well as Male Vocalist of the Year at the 2017 Mirchi Music Awards.
- 2018 - For, his renditions of the song “Zaalima” and songs from Jagga Jasoos, he was named Best Male Playback Singer. He was nominated for “Zaalima” from Raees and won Best Male Playback Singer for “Roke Na Ruke Naina” from Badrinath Ki Dulhaniya in 63rd Film Fare Awards.
- 2019 - 66th FilmFare Awards- For the song “Binte Dil” from Padmaavat, he was named Best Male Playback Singer.
Arijit Singh – Controversies
- Assaulting Case He was arrested in September 2013 for attacking a journalist after she inquired about his divorce from his first wife.
- Salman Khan Conflict In 2016, he sent an open letter to Salman Khan on Facebook, demanding that he be allowed to keep his rendition of a song from the film Sultan that he believed Salman had recorded by another vocalist since Salman believed Arijit had insulted him at the 2014 Star Guild Awards event. However, he eventually removed the post.
Arijit Singh – Most Down to Earth Singer
There is no doubt that Arijit Singh has changed the dynamics of singing with his talent and hard work. His flawless and effortless singing gives many people Goosebumps. With this kind of talent in our country, we can say our songs are way ahead of our time and will be cherished in future also.