Kumar Mangalam Birla is an Indian industrialist and the chairman of all the major companies in India and globally, including Boards of Hindalco, Grasim, UltraTech, Vodafone-Idea and Aditya Birla Capital Limited. In addition, Birla also chairs the global companies Novelis, Birla Carbon, Aditya Birla chemical, Aditya Birla Minerals, Terrace Bay Pulp Mill, and Domsjo Fabriker. He also chairs The Indian Institute of Technology Delhi and an Indian Institute of Management Ahmadabad. Besides that, he is also the chancellor of Birla Institute of Technology Delhi.
Kumar Mangalam Birla Bio – Statistics
- Full Name: Kumar Mangalam Birla
- Date of Birth: 14th June 1967
- Place of Birth: Kolkata, West Bengal; India
- Occupation: Indian billionaire Industrialist, Chairman
- Parents: Aditya Vikram Birla and Rajashree Birla
- Spouse: Neerja Birla
- Children: Ananya Birla, Aryaman Birla, Advaitesha Birla
Kumar Mangalam Birla Story – Early Life and Family
Kumar Mangalam Birla was born on 14th June 1967 in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. He belongs to a fourth-generation member of the Marwari Birla family from Rajasthan and has spent most of his childhood in Mumbai and Kolkata. His father, Aditya Vikram Birla, was an industrialist and his mother, Rajashree Birla, was a business magnate. He got married to his wife Neerja Kasliwal on 17th May 1989. This couple has three children Aryaman Vikram Birla, Ananya Birla, and Advaitesha Birla.
Kumar Mangalam Birla Story – Education
- He pursued his high schooling at Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics.
- He holds a bachelor's degree, which he pursued from HR College of Commerce and Economics of the University of Mumbai.
- Later, he became a CA (Chartered Accountant) from the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI).
- He further pursued his MBA from London Business School, London, United Kingdom.
Kumar Mangalam Birla Wiki – Career Timeline
- Business Career
- Kumar Mangalam Birla had to take over the position of Chairman of the Group at the age of 28 in 1995 after the sudden demise of his father, Aditya Vikram Birla. As a chairman, Birla had a lot of pressure to take the Aditya Birla Group to higher growth.
- In 1995, he raised the growth of Aditya Birla Group from $2 billion to $46.3 billion. It made him emerge as a national leader in the Group sector where it operates.
- In 20 years, he has made over 40 acquisitions in India as well as globally.
- He acquired Novelis in the year 2007, which is regarded as the second-largest acquisition made by an Indian company.
- The acquisition of Columbian Chemicals, the world's third-largest carbon black manufacturer, positioned this Group as the no. 1 sector.
- The acquisition of Domsjo Fabriker enabled the Group's pulp and Fiber business to its further global position.
- Another big acquisition made by him was CTP GmbH, a chemical and technology for polymers in Germany.
- He has made significant acquisitions in India, including Jaypee Cement Plants, Binani Cement, Cement Division of Larsen and Toubro, Indal from Alcan, Madura Garments from Coats Viyella, Solaris Chemtech Industries, and the Chor Alkali division of Kanori Chemicals.
- Positions held
- Central Board of Directors of the Reserve Bank of India - Director
- Advisory Committee constituted by the Ministry of Company affairs – Chairman
- Served as the Prime Minister of India's Advisory Council on Trade and in industry.
- Authored the first report on Corporate Governance, titled "Report on the Kumar Mangalam Birla Committee on Corporate Governance".
- Chairman of SEBI's committee on Insider Trading.
- Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India – Member of Apex Advisory Council.
- Part of National Council of Confederation of Indian Industry.
Kumar Birla & Aditya Birla Group – Numbers
Under Birla’s leadership, Aditya Birla Group has a great position among all the major sectors. In addition, he has an excellent workforce that includes over 12000 employees belonging from 42 different nations.
- It is ranked as the 4th company globally and 1st in the Asia Pacific for the "Top Companies for Leaders".
- Besides that, the company has been ranked as the Number 1 corporate and has topped Nielson's Corporate Image Monitor in the year 2014- 2015.
- It has also been ranked as the "Best in Class" for its success in the third year.
- In 2018, Aditya Birla Group was also honored with the "The Best Employers to work for in India" by AON Hewitt.
Kumar Mangalam Birla Success - Awards and Achievements
- 1998- He achieved India's topmost admired and CEO and the top CEO of the coming millennium award.
- 1998- Global Finance award for 'Among the 10 superstars of Corporate Finance'.
- 2001- Hindustan Times award for the 'The Businessman of the year."
- 2001- "Golden Peacock National Award for the Business Leadership."
- 2001- "The outstanding Business Man of the year".
- 2001- The Rajiv Gandhi Award for "Business Excellence and his contribution towards the country".
- 2003- Business India awarded him the "Business Man of the Year".
- 2010- He was honored as the "CNN- IBN Indian of the year 2010 for the outstanding business person and making most of the business successful."
- 2016- He was awarded as the International Advertising Association's CEO of the year.
- 2017- He was honored with the "The GIL Visionary Leadership Award".
- 2017- The CNBC- TV18 honored him with IBLA Outstanding Businessman of the year.
- 2019- He was honored with ABLF Global Asian Award.
Kumar Mangalam Birla – One Man Conglomerate
His excellent management skills and efficiency have made him achieve his career as a chairman and a visionary. His hard work and dedication can be seen through his achievements and success. Over the years, he has been achieving the qualities of a true businessman. His passion for business can be seen through the outcome of Aditya Birla Group.