Advocate Ram Jethmalani was one of the most reputed and knowledgeable lawyer of his time and served as a senior Supreme Court lawyer and a politician for several years. This man has a significant contribution to the law and in fighting over a dozen high-profile cases. Ram also tried to improve the relationship between India and Pakistan throughout his political career. He was a distinguished fraternity and the most preferred lawyer in criminal cases and various high-profile civil cases.
Adv. Ram Jethmalani – Statistics
- Full Name - Ram Bulchand Jethmalani
- Date of Birth - 14 September 1923
- Place of Birth - Shikarpur, Sindh, Pakistan
- Died - 8 September 2019 (aged 95 years)
- Place of death - New Delhi, India
- Profession - Lawyer, Politician, Jurist, Philanthropist, Professor of Law, Entrepreneur
- Education – Sc Shahani Law College, Government Law College
- Spouse – Durga Jethmalani, Ratna Jethmalani
Ram Jethmalani Bio - Early Life
Ram was born in the Shikarpur District of Sindh, Bombay Presidency (present-day Pakistan) to Parbati Boolchand and Boolchand Gurumukhdas Jethmalani. He was a genius kid from the beginning and got a double promotion at school and completed his schooling at the age of 13, and received his LL.B. degree at 17 from Sc Shahani Law College. He later completed his LL.M from Bombay University.
Fun Fact: The legal age for practicing law was 21 years. But after making an application to the court, Ram became a lawyer at only 18 years.
Ram Jethmalani Wiki – Family and Personal Life
Ram married Durga Jethmalani in traditional Indian marriage and later married Ratna, his second wife. Ratna is a lawyer by profession, and Ram’s family accepts both of his wives. He has four children with his wives (Rani, Shobha, Mahesh, Janak), of whom Mahesh is a Supreme Court lawyer and a BJP leader, and Rani is also a Supreme Court lawyer and a social activist.
Adv. Ram Jethmalani Success Story – Career Timeline
- Ram started his career as a lawyer in Sindh.
- Ram, with his senior friend A.K Brohi, started his law firm in Karachi.
- He fled to India after the riots during the partition. He stayed in Refugee Camps for ten days and had only INR 10 with him.
- He fought his first case as a refugee in India against the Bombay Refugees Act and won.
- He became known after the K.M. Nanavati case.
- He also taught in the Government Law College as a part-time professor to both undergraduate and post-graduate students.
- Ram became the chairman of the Bar Council of India four times.
- He also gave classes at Symbiosis International University and Wayne State University.
- Throughout his career fought several high-profile cases as a lawyer.
Adv. Ram Jethmalani Bio - Political Career
Jethmalani also had a close connection with politics. He fought elections several times. Ram also condemned the emergency brought by Indira Gandhi in 1975.
Positions served by Ram are:
- 1980 - Won the Bombay North-West Constituency.
- 1988 - Became a member of Rajya Sabha.
- 1995 - Launched his political party (Pavitra Hindustan Kazhagam).
- 1996 - Became Union Minister of Law, Justice, and Company affairs.
- 1998 - Urban affairs and employment
- 1999 - Again became Union Minister of Law, Justice, and Company affairs.
- 2004 - Contested against Atal Vihari Vajpayee in the 2004 General Election from the Lucknow constituency.
- 2010 - Got a ticket to the Upper house of Parliament (RajyaSabha) by BJP from Rajasthan.
Adv. Ram Jethmalani - High Profile Cases fought by him
Jethmalani has fought over two dozen high-profile cases in his entire career. He won many cases and also lost many of them. Some of those cases are as follows:
- K.M. Nanavati v/s State of Maharashtra
- Kehar Singh & Ors v/s State of Delhi Admn.
- L.K Advani v/s Central Bureau of Investigation
- Harshad S. Mehta & Ors v/s The State of Maharashtra
- Lalu Prasad Yadav & Anr v/s State of Bihar & Anr
- Siddharth Vashisht @ Manu Sharma v/s NCT of Delhi
- Amkit Bhai v/s Central Bureau of Investigation
- Sant Shri Asharam Bapu v/s State
- State of Karnataka v/s Selvi J. Jayalalitha
- Arun Jaitley v/s Arvind Kejriwal
Adv. Ram Jethmalani - Awards and Achievements
Ram was one of the best lawyers of his time. Some of the awards won by him are as follows:
- International Jurist Award
- Human Rights Award - By World Peace Through Law, 1977
Adv. Ram Jethmalani – Books
Ram has written many books and co-authored various books on criminal law, media law, and administrative law.
- Books Written by Ram Jethmalani:
- Big Egos, Small Men
- Justice: Soviet Style
- Conflict of Laws
- Maverick: Unchanged, Unrepentant
- The conscience of a Maverick
- Books Written on Jethmalani:
- Rebel: A Biography of Ram Jethmalani - By Susan Adelman
- Ram Jethmalani: The Authorized Biography - By Nalini Gera
Adv. Ram Jethmalani – Roles in Movies
- Jethmalani’s role in Scam 1992 (an original web series of Sony LIV) got portrayed by Mithilesh Chaturvedi. The web series got based on the famous Harshad Mehta and his stock market scam in 1992.
- His role in The Verdict (a web series on Zee5 in association with Ekta Kapoor’s Alt Balaji) got portrayed by Sumeet Vyas. The web series got based on the high-profile case and real-life incident of K.M. Nanavati.
- Jethmalani’s role in the Bollywood film, The Big Bull is portrayed by actor Ram Kapoor. The film loosely shows the life of Harshad Mehta and the crimes done by him. The movie stars Abhishek Bachchan in the lead role.
- Sachin Khedekar portrays his role in the Bollywood film Rustom. The movie depicts the life of K.M. Nanavati and his high-profile case. The film stars Akshay Kumar and Ileana D’cruz in the lead role.
Adv. Ram Jethmalani - The Great Lawyer of All Time
Ram Jethmalani’s journey and his intelligence are an inspiration for all of us. He is an institution for all the budding lawyers in our country. This guy is the epitome of hard work and smartness. He stayed in the system for decades and fought innumerable cases. People like him are not hard to forget ever.